Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Very sporadic USB function

Robiww

FreeNAS Experienced
After I upgraded from 18.12 U8 to 19.04 and since both flash drives and spinning drives connected by USB are functioning very sporadic. Sometimes it works, sometimes not and it doesn't matter if I use Insight or Dolphin as manager (I have kde-baseapps installed and when I switch between Insight and Dolphin I need to use Desktop Configuration -> Standard Programs or I'm not able to see /.autofs/da0).

A few things I noticed:
  • The drive always shows up as auto-mount and I can always open it (double click).
  • Sometimes it shows the catalogs on the drive but when clicking one it says "the file or catalog does not excist".
  • Sometimes it just opens as an empty window and says "unknown size", although there are files on the drive.
  • If I at that time try to paste something it just says "there is not enough space on the disk".
  • Sometimes it just works and if it doesn't it sometimes helps to logout-login, then it works... Sometimes.
  • Updating to 19.04 U1 and then to 19.05 didn't change anything.
  • I get at least four red and two yellow marks from OpenRC at startup, but as far as I can tell they all have something to do with the graphics. But I have no graphical problems.
  • I have these problems both on my stationary desktop and on my laptop although they are different brands and have totally different hardware which makes me think that I'm probably not the only one having these problems.
Like I said, this is very sporadic and very irritating when I try to connect an USB device. So there is definitely something wrong with Trident version 19.04 and on that needed to be fixed. I never had this kind of problems with 18.12.

Just an example on this erratic behavior.
As I started to type this post I inserted a flash drive to see those "..." texts. I left in connected for a few minutes and suddenly it works and shows the files. Yea, that's good but again, it's only sometimes o_O

Barulheira

Perhaps this is not related at all, but who knows...

Sometimes I get something working after waiting for a few minutes, too. In my case, it's Jack Keyboard.

Always.

Robiww

FreeNAS Experienced
Perhaps this is not related at all, but who knows...
Can't tell since I have my keyboard and mouse connected by adapters to PS/2 sockets (read somewhere that PS/2 generally works better than USB for those). So I don't know how it would behave if I would connect by USB.

Robiww

FreeNAS Experienced
Just a short hint how to get around the sporadic USB function, at least on flash drives that I came up with.
The problem occurs only when using Dolphin as file manager and only when the flash drive is empty. So instead of having to switch between Dolphin and Insight in Desktop Configuration -> Program, I simply placed a small file on the drive and left it there. I created a .txt file, just typed "Test" in it and called it "0_Test.txt" (that way it always stays on top and not moving around depending on the other files you copy to the drive).

This "trick" doesn't work on spinning drives and it doesn't matter if you use Dolphin or Insight, but as I said only sometimes.
It seems it may help to wait for at least 5 minutes after connecting the drive and not clicking on it at ones. Just do something else for a while and then open it. Just my 2c ;)

Anyway, I hope this will be fixed later. It wasn't this way in 18.12.

Robiww

FreeNAS Experienced
I continue on this thread since it's kinda the same subject.

Beside the "sometimes"-issue above where it doesn't always help to wait. Sometimes I Switch to Insight back and forth, sometimes I need to reboot and suddenly it just works.
Note, this is only an issue with larger drives where the is a lot on them like a 128 GB flash drive and 320 GB spinning drive. Smaller (1, 2, 8, 16 GB) drives with just a few files on them never have this kind of problem as long as I leave something on it (see post above).

But now something where the devs may have to rub their grey cells ;)

No matter which drive I use and no matter if it's formatted to FAT32 or NTFS, when I plug it into a standard USB port they at least always show up in Automount and I can open it even if it's an error and shows 0 B / Unknown size.
Same thing if I plug it into an USB 3.0 port, unless it's an USB 3.0 device. Then it doesn't show up.
As clarification, it's only when an USB 3.0 device is plugged into an USB 3.0 port. An USB 3.0 device in a standard USB port or a standard USB device in an USB 3.0 port works. But not an USB 3.0 device in an USB 3.0 port. Go figure(?)

My only guess could be that it could have something to do with that the system is installed on BIOS Base and not UEFI (the hardware supports UEFI), but I see that as a long shot.

BTW, happy 4th July, all 'mericans! :)

groenveld

FreeNAS Experienced
Does the USB3 disk when connect to the USB3 port show up in usbconfig?
# usbconfig list

If so, does it show up in camcontrol?
# camcontrol devlist

John
groenveld@acm.org

Robiww

FreeNAS Experienced
Yes on both, and now did it show up in Automount. I tested this a second time with another USB 3.0 flash drive and it showed up as well.
I fiddled back and forth a little with the USB devices and it seems they come up now without typing the commands you gave me.

Thanks! Now I know how to get this working if it won't work again after the next time I start the computer.