Verbose logging to see which shell-commands are executed by the WebGUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom++

Cadet
Hello

I try to debug a Host Bus Adapter exception while creating a new volume using the Web GUI Volume Manager (zpool create works perfect on command line, but not if I use the Web GUI).

Therefore I would like to see which shell commands are executed so that I can try to reproduce and analyze the problem and I searched for those commands in
/var/log/messages and
/var/db/system/syslog-494fbc75378a41f697515dfc2cdb16b5/log/

but there is no command like "zpool create …".

Is it possible to enable something like "verbose logging" to see which commands are executed while we use the Web GUI?

Thanks a lot, kind regards,
Tom

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope, but the code is likely in a file called notifier.py.

Looking at your other thread though, Adaptec is a horribly spectacular card to use. You should get better hardware. It's no accident that I specifically mention Adaptecs as a card to avoid. I love them for hardware RAID, hate them for FreeBSD/ZFS. Read the last section of this link... https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/ and then go buy a proper HBA.

Even *if* you could debug the problem, you're left with a nasty dilemma...

1. Get Adaptec to issue a firmware update (laughable option)
2. Get the FreeBSD community to "fix" the driver (assuming there is even a known way to fix it). Adaptec is fairly proprietary and they don't just give out their designs so you can fix the driver.

Notice I didn't say "fix the driver yourself". You can't easily add a driver to FreeNAS. You'd have to recompile FreeNAS yourself with the driver fix (again, assuming you could even come up with a fix)

Overall, even *if* you could debug it, your options are just about zero on how to continue from that point, so I think you really should be looking back at the "go buy a proper HBA" comment. Debugging the Adaptec problems are a dead end.

And let's not get started on doing SMART monitoring and such. If your card is like what everyone else has tried, SMART is not even an option. So even *if* the card worked without the errors, we'd still be telling you to buy a proper HBA.

Noticing a trend with my "buy a proper HBA" yet? ;)

tom++

Cadet
Good eveing cyberjock

I'm very sorry for my late answer - I really appreciate your answer, but before I write an answer, I tried to get a solution...

Therefore my 1st point: thank you very much for your help and the shove so that I buy a proper HBA :smile:

After I have read your answer, I had to sleep, then I had to take a break...
After that break I've spent again 2 days to get the Adaptec HBA working with FreeNAS zfs. Now, I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

Therefore I tested OMV (OpenMediaVault) - and it just works, even with the Adaptec HBA & zfs. (OMV zfs: it's GUI is still in beta-test, the driver is perfectly stable because they use the Debian zfs driver, of course.)

FreeNAS is great, but there are some problems:
  1. It's hard to find a supported x Port HBA which is manufactured today. (There are a lot of product names and users have to google all of them to get informations about ports).

Your proposal for the IBM HBA is valuable, but:

1. This information should be placed on FreeNAS front page.
      I really have spent about 2 days to buy compatible FreeNAS hardware and I still bought the wrong hardware, because there are so many recommendations.
      Btw.: a sata port of a modern motherboard has the same (or slightly better!) performance than a HBA.

2. in my country, there is almost no IBM HBA on eBay and I really don't like to build my Data Storage on a no-longer-supported manufactured HBA...
  2. I still miss the great and very useful linux tools like lsblk
Thanks again,
kind regards,
Tom

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If OMV is like what my friend used to use, they'll tell you to avoid the Adaptec too. But I've never used OMV, so you're on your own to figure out if what my friend said was correct or not. OMV is something that is mentioned here from time to time, and from what others have said, is rapidly losing customer base and demand to FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.