VAAI support for NFS in VMware ESXi 6.x?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularJoe

Patron
Hi,

I am wondering if there is support or planned support for VAAI with NFS in VMware ESXi? If not could this be a pay module where customers can pay $100 per server per site to run VAAI on FreeNAS? I assume this would be bundled with TrueNAS.

Thanks,
Joe

Mlovelace

Guru
VAAI is supported in trueNAS/freeNAS only via iSCSI. There isn't planned support for it via NFS from what I've been able to find.

Mlovelace

Guru
Here is a link to the original feature request that was submitted. https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3118 It appears that no one else has opened another feature request to support VAAI/NAS and not just VAAI/BLOCK. If you decide to open a ticket please link it here so others who are interested can also follow and comment.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
VMware calls VAAI for NFS "VAAI for NAS". This feature will be available in TrueNAS, the commercial version of FreeNAS, beginning with 9.10.2.

D

dlavigne

Notes that this feature is being removed for TrueNAS 11.1-U6. This does not affect VAAI iSCSI which is fully supported and certified for TrueNAS.

RegularJoe

Patron
I have never had an issue with NFS v3 on FreeNAS. I guess I have to move the SMB users over to iSCSI with VMware. iSCSI on VMware is much more complex and with 10gig not worth it. I would hope iXsystems allows us to pay for that plugin for FreeNAS

D

dlavigne

To be clear, it is the 3 VAAI NFS primitives defined by VMware that are not supported, not NFS itself. This is mostly due to the primitive definitions not understanding ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.