Users and groups not showing up in Windows 7

Wallybanger

Contributor
I am having this exact same problem except my server is live, not virtual. None of those instructions worked. It appears as though the path/username/whatever won't resolve when searching for a user or group.

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Glad i am not the only one :rolleyes:

Thank you for the detailed instructions @Mirfster but still no luck..

@Spearfoot I have set all the workgroups to be the same but i am still being prompted for this log in when searching, the domain that comes up is still the old one and has not changed although i have changed it in my Windows settings and freenas settings. Even if i manually change it i.e "office\User1" for the user name i still get the same results.

upload_2016-9-15_8-8-28.png
upload_2016-9-15_8-7-50.png upload_2016-9-15_8-11-44.png

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Glad i am not the only one :rolleyes:

Thank you for the detailed instructions @Mirfster but still no luck..

@Spearfoot I have set all the workgroups to be the same but i am still being prompted for this log in when searching, the domain that comes up is still the old one and has not changed although i have changed it in my Windows settings and freenas settings. Even if i manually change it i.e "office\User1" for the user name i still get the same results.

View attachment 13645 View attachment 13644 View attachment 13646
Sigh... Windows networking is a bear! If the old NETBIOS GROUP name(s) still show up, you might try rebooting both FreeNAS and your Windows box.

At a command prompt in Windows, type these commands:
Code:
nbtstat -c
nbtstat -n

You should see output similar to the screenshot below. The only GROUP shown should be OFFICE on your system, corresponding to NCSPEERS in my screenshot. If you still see the old NETBIOS GROUP name, try flushing the tables with this command:
Code:
nbtstat -RR

Also... I see you have FreeNAS configured as your 'Local Browse Master'... you might try toggling that off to let your Windows PC be the master.
windows-nbtstat.jpg

Wallybanger

Contributor
My only GROUP is WORKGROUP. I disabled Local Master. No dice.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Wallybanger

Contributor

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

I have watched these videos, the second one twice :) really good videos but stuck on the bit where he mentions to search up other users/groups :p

I tried the commands you mentioned and also flushed out the cache but when trying to search for users it still shows up with the wrong name..

upload_2016-9-15_21-3-5.png upload_2016-9-15_21-3-44.png

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Just an update,

1. I used another windows 7 machine on the network to try and change the permissions and received the same errors.
2. I set up an actual freeNAS server not on a VM and i am still having the same issues.

Not sure what these DNS errors are in the log?
20160916_132125.jpg

Wallybanger

Contributor
I'm actually shocked that so many people are having this problem and no solution has been presented. I'm almost thinking that this is a bug that needs to be reported.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Not sure what these DNS errors are in the log?
Nothing to be concerned about really. It is due to an overly chatty protocol. We all are seeing them and they can be ignored for now. From my understanding there will be a fix upcoming to reduce those messages. If I recall there may already be a work-around...

I set up an actual freeNAS server not on a VM and i am still having the same issues.
So this is a fresh install of the latest STABLE (9.10.1)?

Mirfster

FWIW, I just ran through the exact same instructions I wrote in this thread on a new install of the latest 9.10.1 ISO and it still worked (in a VM). I left everything basically fresh from the install and just added my Groups, Users, Pool and Share. Did not use "FreeNAS" as the Domain Name when connecting to the Share, I used the IP Address of the FreeNAS Server instead...

upload_2016-9-16_7-8-28.png

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification on the DNS errors,

Yes this is a fresh install of 9.10.1, the host name is freenas.local

I have tried both your instructions and @m0nkey_ 's too with still no luck, every time i map the drive i am using the IP address to ensure the connection.

When you search for the Users or Groups from your windows machine, are you prompted for user credentials (for a second time, first time was when mapping the drive) like i am? I think is this may be the crucial step to what is going wrong here...

Mirfster

When you search for the Users or Groups from your windows machine, are you prompted for user credentials (for a second time, first time was when mapping the drive) like i am? I think is this may be the crucial step to what is going wrong here...
Nope not prompted again, since I am authenticated to the Share as %FreeNAS_Server%\%User%.

Wallybanger

Contributor
I'm also being prompted a second time.

Mirfster

Out of curiosity, on the Windows 7 machine is your "Active Network" set as "Home", "Public" or "Work"? I am thinking that there is something on the client side that is the issue...

Wallybanger

Contributor
Out of curiosity, on the Windows 7 machine is your "Active Network" set as "Home", "Public" or "Work"? I am thinking that there is something on the client side that is the issue...
That wouldn't surprise me, I just don't know what that "something" would be. It's set as a home network.

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Just an update, i have tried this from a Windows 10 client and it works every time! Not exactly sure whats going on with my Windows 7 client?

I noticed when logging in when mapping the drive on the windows 10 machine that the domain name is blank.. not sure if this is why its working? I tried to do this on the Windows 7 machine with "\User1" as the log in but didn't have any luck...