Users and groups not showing up in Windows 7

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi Gentlemen,

I am running FreeNAS 9.10.1 on Virtual Box whilst i practice setting up permissions before i deploy it onto my real server and network, basically what i am trying to set up is one share with multiple folders where different users have different permissions as to what they can see/read/write. I am not using AD and have my dataset set to windows permissions.

I can create the share and connect to it with no issues, the problem is when i try to manage the permissions on these folders from Windows 7, the users and groups that i have created in the FreeNAS GUI do not show up when i try to search for them on the Windows 7 machine, only the current user/owner for the folder shows up.

When i try search for them i am prompted to enter a user name and password, i have tried to enter the login details for FreeNAS and also login details for one of the users but still no luck, i have also tried to change the domain to local\

Am i missing something? I have tried to search this issue on the forum and a few users have reported a similar issues but i could not find any answers.

Thanks in advance.

upload_2016-9-13_10-5-40.png

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

I have tried the share setup with both Unix and Windows, at the moment it is set to windows.

I am connecting to the share with the one user that i have created in the FreeNAS GUI, the user and group both share the name "Simon" and are the owner of the data set.

When i change permissions I am prompted for another user name and pw when i search for the usernames on the windows 7 machine, i have tried the root user for the NAS login and also tried the above user "Simon"

I am sure i am missing something obvious here..

upload_2016-9-13_10-54-4.png upload_2016-9-13_10-55-31.png

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Are you referring too when i map the network drive or when i prompted for login credentials after trying to look up a user name in the permissions tab?

Thanks for the link to @m0nkey_ 's thread, i have watched both these videos and they were really good, just stuck on the part where he mentions to change the permissions from the windows machine and search for the new user/group you would like, i can't seem to search for those users/groups.
upload_2016-9-13_18-49-10.png upload_2016-9-13_18-51-17.png upload_2016-9-13_18-52-1.png

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Yes i just tried to map the drive with "freenas\Simon" as the user with still no luck.. i receive the attached error

What credentials should i be using when i am prompted after trying to search for a user/group through windows 7? Is the credentials of the freeNAS as in the root login?

upload_2016-9-13_20-34-13.png

Mirfster

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

I believe the host name of the server is "freenas"

When i map the drive i enter "\\freenas\shared" then log in with credentials as "192.168.1.100\Simon"

I can log in and see the folders in the share, but when i come to change the permissions through the windows machine i am then prompted for another password.

It doesn't look like it is resolvable, please see attached the results of the lookup.

upload_2016-9-14_7-38-46.png upload_2016-9-14_7-42-13.png

Mirfster

Since you have this as a VM, I am assuming this is just to R&D? If so, might want to try scrapping the share and maybe even dataset and then re-creating it from scratch for the experience.

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

Yes that is correct i am just testing this on my laptop for now because i want to make sure i've got it right before i test it on my actual server.

I factory defaulted the freenas VM yesterday and started from scratch with no luck still.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I don't believe you will find 'Simon' in the Windows 7 local user space unless you create an account by that name in Windows. FWIW, I create accounts with the same username and password on both FreeNAS and my Windows machines. Your mileage may vary...

Also, did you know one of the accounts is spelled with an extra 'm'? i.e., 'Simmon'? :p

Otherwise, it looks as though you have the NETBIOS name and workgroup set up correctly, because Windows is seeing the user and group accounts from the FreeNAS server.

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

@Mirfster Thanks for the instructions i will try them with another build from scratch tonight.

@Spearfoot Thanks for the info, i have the same user credentials on my local machine but still no luck, and how does that work if i am trying to search for a group that i have made in freeNAS that i would like to be the owner or have permissions?

Oops thanks for pointing that out, i have fixed that up now but i am still have the same issue, i don't get why i am getting prompted for user credentials when i am trying too search users/groups in the security tab on my windows machine...

Simon FreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

So I have tried your set of instructions and also @m0nkey_ 's too with still no luck. I also reinstalled a brand new image of FreeNAS and i am still having the same issue when trying t look up users/groups through windows 7. I am always prompted for user credentials at this step? In all the instructional videos and notes I've read this step is never mentioned and sounds like it shouldn't be there? I am not even sure which credentials to enter? I have tried multiple, the obvious one being the FreeNAS login credentials but still no luck.
upload_2016-9-14_20-51-25.png

Could this be something in my VM causing an issue when it tries to search for users/groups?

I also noticed when adding or editing user information it always inserts "root" into the email field and a pw too, for me to make any changes i have to remove "root" from the email field and type my pw in, i have not seen this behavior in tutorial videos?

upload_2016-9-14_20-54-25.png

Mirfster

Mirfster

So here is a quick example:
  1. Created Pool called "CIFSVolume"
    • In [Storage] - [Volumes]
      • Selected/Highlighted "CIFSVolume"
      • Selected [Edit Options] (The Wrench Icon); Then [Advanced Mode]
      • Set the following
        • Share Type = Windows
        • Enable ATime = Off
      • Clicked [Edit DataSet] to Save and Exit
    • In [Storage] - [Volumes]
      • Selected/Highlighted "CIFSVolume"
      • Selected [Change Permissions] (The Key Icon)
      • Set the following:
        • Only thing I changed here is to set the "Owner Group" to "ServerAdmins"
        • This is a group I created that I simply add accounts to which I want to have more rights that normal users... *** I have another group called "ServerUsers" which is for Standard Users
      • Clicked [Change] to Save and Exit
  • [Sharing] - [Windows (CIFS)]; Clicked [Add Windows (CIFS) Share]; Selected [Advanced Mode]
  • Path = Browsed to the path of "CIFSVolume" I created in Step 1
  • Name = CIFSDemo
  • Apply Default Permissions = UnChecked
  • Everything else was as it defaulted to
  • Clicked [OK] to Save and Exit
From my Windows 7 Machine
  • [Start] - [Run]; Entered \\ASC-FN01\CIFSDemo
  • Authenticated using %FreeNAS_ServerName%\UserName (If not resolvable on your network, then use %FreeNAS_IP_Address%\UserName
  • Notice it shows Domain = ASC-FN01 and NOT the Local PC name...
upload_2016-9-14_7-57-31.png

From there you should be able to proceed to create Folders and Set Permissions as desired.

Below are some screenshots of me setting permissions on a "ServerAdminsStuff" Folder that normal Users are not going to be able to see or access. "UserA" is just a generic account for this demo...

upload_2016-9-14_8-12-13.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-34-25.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-37-1.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-38-42.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-27-22.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-30-32.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-40-43.png

upload_2016-9-14_8-41-56.png

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi Guys,

So I have tried your set of instructions and also @m0nkey_ 's too with still no luck. I also reinstalled a brand new image of FreeNAS and i am still having the same issue when trying t look up users/groups through windows 7. I am always prompted for user credentials at this step? In all the instructional videos and notes I've read this step is never mentioned and sounds like it shouldn't be there? I am not even sure which credentials to enter? I have tried multiple, the obvious one being the FreeNAS login credentials but still no luck.
View attachment 13616

Could this be something in my VM causing an issue when it tries to search for users/groups?

I also noticed when adding or editing user information it always inserts "root" into the email field and a pw too, for me to make any changes i have to remove "root" from the email field and type my pw in, i have not seen this behavior in tutorial videos?

View attachment 13617
The Windows 7 security password prompt shows domain SIMONTAWADROS, while your FreeNAS system is set up in a workgroup named FREENAS, correct? These need to match; so either edit the CIFS setup on FreeNAS and change the workgroup to SIMONTAWADROS, or change the workgroup name on your PC to FREENAS.

Errr... or just follow @Mirfster's instructions... :smile: