User account - enable password login: wrong description in manual and GUI?

guermantes

Patron
Today I wanted to do something SSH related so I visited the User Accounts page in the GUI. I noticed that my household's two users, who on a daily basis use SMB shares on the freenas from Windows without the shares having been mounted as network locations, that these two users had different settings for "enable password login". One had yes and one had no. I actually thought this setting had to do with SSH logins to the freenas so I was perplexed to see the description in the popup bubble and in the manual:

"Enable password logins and authentication to SMB shares."

Because I realized "my user is set to disable password login, yet I log in to SMB shares daily with this user's credentials, both from Windows and Debian. What the...???"

Then I focused on the other user, who had "enable password" set to yes; I tried to log in over SSH and, lo and behold, it worked. Then I set it to "no" and it did not work anymore to log in over SSH. Yet this setting is described as applying to SMB shares.

Although I am far from being a guru, I would humbly submit that the manual and GUI help bubbles are wrong, that they talk about SMB when it is actually SSH that is affected by the setting.

Or am I completely confused?

BTW, regardless of if I am mistaken above, it is highly confusing that the setting is called "enable..." while the manual description is explaining from the disable way of looking at it, and that also the GUI column is called "disable..." while the setting is called "enable...". It's just confusing.

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.