USB drive is flashing while logged in via web browser, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I have noticed a few times that the USB thumb drive (boot device) flashes quite a bit when I am logged in to the web gui. I'm curious if it's just reading or if there is writing going on as well. I noticed that the flashing stops when I close the browser session.

I ask because I'm curious if a slow drive it hampering the system, if there is writing going on then how will that impact the life of the USB drive.

-Mark

joeschmuck

Old Man
I wonder what it needs to read just because the GUI is open. When the GUI is closed, no more accessing, or at least that I noticed. I'd submit a ticket on this but I don't know if it's a real issue or required by design.

B

Bohs Hansen

The OS is on the bootdrive, including the web interface. So when you load the web interface its being read of the boot drive, in your case the usb drive

joeschmuck

Old Man
I understand that the GUI needs to be loaded from the USB drive but what I don't understand is even if you leave the web page alone (it can be on any or no tabs), the access is always occurring. Now that was using FireFox, I wonder how IE will react. I'm certain something is getting polled.

Eh, no big deal, I won't be logged in to the GUI page once the NAS is fully operational.

warri

Guru
The WebGUI is not static. I think it will reload content regularly, and update the page your are accessing. I guess that is why some reads occur all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.