USB 3(.x) to 5G/10G Ethernet Support?

patrickjp93

Dabbler
Hi Team,

It seems the last time someone asked about this was 2016, and the answer at the time was "mostly no." These days, is there support for USB 3 to 5G/10G Ethernet adapters? Only specific ones like Intel/Aquantia? (since Realtec was garbage back then apparently...).

The reason I ask is I'm torn between going with a native 10G motherboard with 2 OcuLink ports adapted to 8 SATA drives, or going with 8 native SATA ports and being stuck with 2 1G NICs or 1 5G NIC in an M-ITX form factor. If I can just adapt a 10G NIC to a USB 3.1 port, then that saves me close to $200 in motherboard, ECC RAM, and adapters for the OcuLink.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
How robust are you expecting your FreeNAS server to be?

That will basically drive your answer. USB adapters are not robust.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
USB controllers are known to be problematic and therefore less reliable than board-integrated or PCIe devices.

They can also be more prone to accidental removal. The fact that they are removable and the connector is designed to facilitate that is also problematic.

I won't comment further on the fact that you mention it runs reliably for you on a PC rig.

patrickjp93

Dabbler
USB controllers are known to be problematic and therefore less reliable than board-integrated or PCIe devices.

They can also be more prone to accidental removal. The fact that they are removable and the connector is designed to facilitate that is also problematic.

I won't comment further on the fact that you mention it runs reliably for you on a PC rig.
Do you have any sources on this lack of reliability? And more to the point, does the current version of FreeNAS now support using these kind of devices?

sretalla