UPS trouble (CyberPower 600E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimL

Dabbler
I went out and bought a 600E after seeing it was compatible & working (+cheap) with FreeNAS. I plugged it in and set it up with the standard usbhid driver and port auto and it worked! I pulled the plug, got a couple of beeps and the system shut off gracefully. Woho :D

Then I upgraded to FreeNAS 8...

System Information
Hostname filserver.local
FreeNAS Build FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288)
Platform AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Memory 4080MB
System Time Sun Nov 13 23:12:54 2011
Uptime 11:12PM up 8 mins, 0 users
Load Average 0.15, 0.16, 0.13
OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3

ups settings:
Service: enabled
Driver: usbhid-ups
Port: /dev/ugen0.2
Shutdown mode: UPS goes on battery
Shutdown timer: 30

Atm all I can get from the UPS is this:

*plug in or boot up with the UPS plugged in*
ugen0.2: <CPS> at usbus0
ugen0.2: <CPS> at usbus0 (disconnected)
With the UPS service enabled with "shut off if UPS goes on battery" the FreeNAS box will do random shutdowns.

Anyone know where to begin?

edit: if I boot up with the UPS plugged in and then restart the UPS service after boot it will stop disconnecting
Nov 13 23:07:20 filserver upsd[3008]: mainloop: Interrupted system call
Nov 13 23:07:20 filserver upsmon[3028]: upsmon parent: read

JimL

Dabbler
I get "automatic power fail shutdown" trown at me totally random. From 5 mins to 8 hours between.

Also when I go to webgui - services - ups and press edit it always seem to jump back to "APC Back-UPS Pro USB USB (usbhid-ups)", but I guess this shouldn't really matter as it is still using the correct driver.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have not seen such a list compiled but I run an APC BackUps Pro 1000 which works great. I would expect most if not all current APC UPS to work that have automatic shutdown capability (the interface cable between the UPS and computer.

If you read that your model of UPS was working for another user of FreeNAS 8.x then I don't see the problem. You should upgrade to one of the nightly builds as recommended before you do anything else. You would also gain updated features as well.

JimL

Dabbler
Ok, going to update tomorrow from 8288 to 8891.

I have not however seen anyone especially recommend the 600E for FreeNAS8. I was using FreeNAS7 before and had seen people recommend it for that setup, and it worked like a champ. Hopefully this update will sort out some of the trouble I was seeing.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe not but there are others using CyberPower UPS and lets face it, in general is a safe assumption that if one device from an UPS manufacturer works, odds are good that similar models will work too. FreeNAS 8 UPS routines were not based around specific UPS but rather the protocols used by those manufacturers. Also you have nothing to lose by trying out the newer software. If you really want to buy another UPS, that is your call but save the money if you can. If it doesn't work then post those results and maybe you have it setup incorrectly, it is particular to say the least.

JimL

Dabbler
Upgrading to latest nightly seems to have resolved the issue completely!

It now appears to communicate over the usbhid-ups driver and I get graceful shutdowns / low bat warnings when expected.

Thanks for all the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.