SOLVED UPS setup but can't contact externally

veldthui

Dabbler
I have my UPS set up on Freenas and it is shutting the machine down properly. I want to also shut down my Esxi machines as well and have the bits needed set up on them but can't get it to communicate. I have two UPs's and one is set up on my Synology NAs and the other on the Freenas. If I upsc ups@192.168.0.30 I get a response from the synology Nas. However if I do the upsc ups@192.168.100.10 I get no reply and it times out. The routing is okay and I can ping the 192.168.100.10 from the Esxi host okay.

I am assuming I need to open a port on the Freenas but which one and where do I open it?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Basically, you need a monitoring server connected to each UPS and this monitoring server should send shutdown commands to all of the other servers connected to the same UPS.

If you have your FreeNAS server connected to one UPS, and your Synology connected to the other, then there is no reason the FreeNAS and Synology systems need to communicate with one another. But they do need to be able to communicate with the other servers connected to their shared UPS.

Sounds like you will need a shutdown script for each server (FreeNAS, Synology) which will send the ESXi servers a poweroff command before shutting themselves down. You'll need to configure ESXi to gracefully shutdown its virtual machines and this will take a little work on your part.

I've written a resource that goes into detail about UPS configuration, including ESXi setup and support. It's available here:

veldthui

Dabbler
Surely that is what the UPS service is in Freenas 11.3? It is enabled and set as master. It is working as I said on the local FreeNas that it is installed on and waits 2 minutes after going onto battery and then shuts it down fine. I just can't get anything thing else to check with it as slaves.

veldthui

Dabbler
Okay I finally got it worked it. The default is for the driver to LISTEN on 127.0.0.1 so will only respond to local requests.

I the Auxiliary parameters I added LISTEN 192.168.100.10 which is the IP address of the Freenas box and it is now working fine with UPSC.

Just have to test the Esxi shutdown side of things now.