UPS Low Battery emails

icsy7867

Contributor
I have never received these notifications before, but recently I get an email from Freenas a few times a day that says:

LOWBATT - ups

This is odd, because if I SSH into freenas and run the upsc command I get that the battery.charge is @ 100%. I have not seen this to change. I also have remote monitoring online and view the power from a centos host which also reports 100%. I have 2 systems on this battery backup, but they are both ultra low Xeon-D systems.

The odd thing is that I recently started doing some cryptocoin mining with a GPU in a VM on the CentOS host around the time that these warning started happening, but it just doesnt make since if the UPS is still reporting 100% battery? Maybe there is something in here that I dont see?

Code:
% upsc ups@localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 330
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 13.3
battery.voltage.nominal: 12
device.mfr: CPS
device.model: CP685AVR-G
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ugen0.2
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.4
driver.version.internal: 0.41
input.transfer.high: 140
input.transfer.low: 90
input.voltage: 122.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 122.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 71
ups.mfr: CPS
ups.model: CP685AVR-G
ups.productid: 0501
ups.realpower.nominal: 390
ups.status: OL LB
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.timer.start: 0
ups.vendorid: 0764

chris crude

Patron
How old is the UPS? I ask because i had similar issues after the UPS batteries passed their life expectancy. After i replaced them the trouble went away.

icsy7867

Contributor
Several years old... But it has been sitting in a closet for most of that time unused. I know the batteries can still grow stale, but it seems like that would not be the case? But perhaps it is. I wonder if there is a way to test?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The chemical process of the battery life is pretty much fixed. 3 to 5 years is all you can expect. I have some of my UPS devices that are on the 3rd set of batteries.
The acid test is to pull the plug and see what the run time is.

The thing you might be doing is loading the UPS beyond the rated capacity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

chris crude

Patron
1 of the 2 batteries was so swollen and bulging that I needed to use a screwdriver to pry it out but i was afraid it would explode if I did. I had to be forceful but careful.

s0mm3r

Dabbler
I have never received these notifications before, but recently I get an email from Freenas a few times a day that says:
LOWBATT - ups
This is odd, because if I SSH into freenas and run the upsc command I get that the battery.charge is @ 100%.
Hey @icsy7867 were you able to solve this?
I'm having the same here
just connected an APC Smart UPS 700 (with new batteries)
and although the bat shows 100% I'm getting multiple lowbatt mails
I've tried all APC drivers

regards

total08

Cadet

LOWBATT - ups

This is odd, because if I SSH into freenas and run the upsc command I get that the battery.charge is @ 100%.

Hi @icsy7867, @s0mm3r did you solved it? I have same issue with a new battery.
regards