UPS for FreeNAS

dkemppai

Dabbler
Hi All,

Installed a CP1000PFCLCD today. Freenas seems to talk to it just fine, at least NUT is reporting it can communicate.
Issuing a upsmon -c fsd, causes freenas to shut down as expected.

However, pulling the plug on the UPS results in the following messages on the console.

Code:
May 23 18:49:35 FreeNAS upsmon[5148]: UPS CP1000 on battery
May 23 18:51:35 FreeNAS upssched-cmd: Shutdown not initiated as ups.status indicates CP1000 is ONLINE (OL)

At which point I plugged it back in again.

Code:
May 23 18:53:56 FreeNAS upsmon[5148]: UPS CP1000 on line power

Here's the UPS settings from upsc:
Code:
battery.charge: 89
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 20
battery.mfr.date: CPS
battery.runtime: 2625
battery.runtime.low: 300
battery.type: PbAcid
battery.voltage: 24.0
battery.voltage.nominal: 24
device.mfr: CPS
device.model: CP1000PFCLCD
device.serial: 000000000000
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ugen0.2
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data: CyberPower HID 0.4
driver.version.internal: 0.41
input.transfer.high: 139
input.transfer.low: 88
input.voltage: 0.0
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.voltage: 136.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.load: 9
ups.mfr: CPS
ups.model: CP1000PFCLCD
ups.productid: 0501
ups.realpower.nominal: 600
ups.serial: 000000000000
ups.status: OB DISCHRG
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.shutdown: -60
ups.timer.start: -60
ups.vendorid: 0764

So, I must be missing something dumb. How do I get this UPS to actually issue a shutdown freenas?

Note, I tried setting the ups.conf offdelay ondelay values previously, which resulted in the UPS powering down the computer after the offdelay time without actually having freenas shut down!!! It appears the ups was issued a shutdown command and did as it was told, however freenas didn't shut down when requested because that ups.status indicates the UPS is still one line, even though it's power cord is unplugged...

Again, This shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• UPS.jpg
    UPS.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 433

dkemppai

Dabbler
Another acid test. Pulled the plug...

Once this message appears on the console:
May 23 20:47:24 FreeNAS upssched-cmd: Shutdown not initiated as ups.status indicates CP1000 is ONLINE (OL)

Both before and after above message, upsc reports:
ups.status: OB DISCHRG

Now, to make it even better. A good 10 minutes later, plugging in the UPS just instantly shut the computer down. Just killed it.

So, a bug in NUT or FreeNAS? Or am I just just expecting too much???

Do any of you have any suggestions, or do I look for yet another ups that might actually work as expected with freenas? This is getting old really fast...

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

Huib

Explorer
At this point I would suggest you file a bug report.

Ignoring power loss for shutdown and initiating a shutdown when the power gets back on seems to negate the whole purpose of having a UPS.
I am using a usb connection to my UPS and it works fine for me... Honestly I'm surprised you are having so much trouble as for me it was plug and play (tested).

So as you said, this should not be that hard.
Therefore a bug report might be your best option. If not anything else, experts will lay and eye on your problem.

dkemppai

Dabbler
OK, Bug reports filed.

So, I have a brand new file server without proper UPS protection. I don't dare migrate my data to it yet because of this issue. Gotta get this thing off my bench. It's now costing me paying work, and $300 into UPS's without a working solution.

Any suggestions on how to move foreword? Can I wipe the server and move to an older version of freenas? Are there beta updates that could fix this? Any ideas on how to setup a chron job to monitor the UPS and shut down the server based on what upsc reports? Maybe scripting? (FYI, I'm not a FreeBSD/Linux guy. Maybe 20 years ago, not any more...)

Thanks all for the input and suggestions.

Dan

ethereal

Guru
OK, Bug reports filed.

So, I have a brand new file server without proper UPS protection. I don't dare migrate my data to it yet because of this issue. Gotta get this thing off my bench. It's now costing me paying work, and $300 into UPS's without a working solution.

Any suggestions on how to move foreword? Can I wipe the server and move to an older version of freenas? Are there beta updates that could fix this? Any ideas on how to setup a chron job to monitor the UPS and shut down the server based on what upsc reports? Maybe scripting? (FYI, I'm not a FreeBSD/Linux guy. Maybe 20 years ago, not any more...)

Thanks all for the input and suggestions.

Dan

what is the bug number ?

there seems to be others with this problem

https://www.ixsystems.com/community...shutting-down-freenas-after-30-seconds.76653/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ot-initiated-status-not-read-correctly.76655/

pschatz100

Guru
I have used a variety of APS and Cyberpower UPSes over the years, and all of them have worked OK. I am currently using a Cyberpower 550VA - a rather inexpensive model, but all I want from it is protection from brief power outages of 2 minutes or less (a problem in my area) and a graceful shutdown when necessary. I am using the usbhid-ups driver, and I have my system configured so that it does not automatically restart after a shutdown. I have not tried configuring NUT.

To the OP: Did you check the FreeNAS UPS compatibility list? The link my version of FreeNAS points to is https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html. There are lots of Tripplite models listed, with most of them recommending the usbhid-ups driver.

As for losing data in FreeNAS from an unexpected shutdown, that will only happen if the system is actually writing data when the shutdown occurs. You didn't say what you use your system for, but if all writes are complete, then there shouldn't be a problem.

dkemppai

Dabbler
what is the bug number ?

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101883
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101884
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101889

Interesting that others with the same version of freenas are having the same issue. I think you are right, this must be a bug in the latest version of freenas. I'd roll back a version, but this newer one fixes another issue I was having.

I'll add the above links to the bug numbers so the dev's have that information to.

Thanks,
Dan

ethereal

Guru
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101883
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101884
https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101889

Interesting that others with the same version of freenas are having the same issue. I think you are right, this must be a bug in the latest version of freenas. I'd roll back a version, but this newer one fixes another issue I was having.

I'll add the above links to the bug numbers so the dev's have that information to.

Thanks,
Dan
thank you

dkemppai

Dabbler
This might be worth an update. My new freenas box was just smoked. Lightning storm went through, and the Cyber Power CP1000PFCLCD is dead. Diaelectric fiber to the freenas box is the only network connection. The only actual electrical connection to the freenas box was the power cable plugged into the UPS, with the PC power cable and USB connection to the UPS. I'm guessing the CP1000PFCLCD with USB cable was the coup de gras.

The other PC on the same power circuit and fiber network was plugged in to the tripplite UPS survived. Infact, That pc didn't skip a beat, and the UPS is running smoothly. The rest of my network hardware, other PCs, and routers/switches all survived (of course, all of the long runs of network are diaelectric fiber.) Even my broadband connection on an 80' tower, mounted to a separate building with several 5G, 2.5G and 900Mhz RF links and a POE to a mikrotik router with diaelectric fiber link all survived.

Anyway, At this point I'm going to have to assume that this CP1000PFCLCD has virtually zero actual lightning protection in it. Even if it had given it's life to save the PC I'd be happy. However it didn't save the PC.

Anyone else with a CP1000PFCLCD may want to consider a different UPS, or additional surge protection. This thing just can't take hit and protect anything plugged into it.

Dan

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Anybody has some feedback on the Eaton 5P1550GR rack mount UPS, and how it works with FreeNAS? Planning USB connection.

I am running 11.2-U5 (in general keeping up with releases).

Thanks

dkemppai

Dabbler
Anybody has some feedback on the Eaton 5P1550GR rack mount UPS, and how it works with FreeNAS? Planning USB connection.

I am running 11.2-U5 (in general keeping up with releases).

Thanks

Sorry, don't have information on that unit.

However, Just some information to consider. I have discovered (the hard way) that not all UPS's are the same. On the 4th of July we had a lightning hit. The ONLY things that died were the UPS on my FreeNAS server and the main board of that FreeNAS server. The PC power supply between them was OK. I strongly suspect the path of damage was the USB cable, caused by a poorly designed UPS. Network is done with dielectric fiber, so no lightning there. I currently do not have a UPS connection to my FreeNAS server because of this, and the fact that FreeNAS won't talk to the TWO ups's I've purchased for this application thus far anyway, despite both of the UPS's being on the NUT list.

If you find one that works, please report back. I've yet to identify a good UPS that actually works correctly with FreeNAS. Even then, I question how safe a USB connection really is if lightning is a concern.

Good luck!

Dan

George Kyriazis

Dabbler
Thanks Dan,

this inquiry is for a work server, which is sitting in a rack (the 5P1550GR is a 208v rack unit). The building has additional protection, so I am not worried too much about lightning strikes. If one goes through despite the lightning rods, and the mains protection, we're in a completely different level of hurt. :smile: The UPS is for a second level of protection, and for those 1-3 second interruptions that happen from time to time.

In the spring, I had a lightning strike my home. I had a different experience from you, though. I guess lightning can be weird that way. I had an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 in the outlet that fed the server (among other machines) (with USB to the FreeNAS box, as in your case), and the only machines in the house that did not get affected where the ones behind the UPS. The UPS died, but everything else survived! Cudos to APC, though, for replacing the UPS for free, through warranty!

Thanks,

George

dkemppai

Dabbler
George,

If you've got enough protection in the building lightning probably isn't a concern then.

Last summer we were hit on fathers day, this summer it was 4th of July. So far the Tripplite UPS's have been performing well, and was the intended UPS for the freenas box also except it isn't supported in NUT (despite being on the list). Ended up with a CyberPower, and it didn't do it's job... CyberPower did replace the UPS.

I was in the process of filing a connected coverage claim with CyberPower when Supermicro just went ahead and replaced the board I had sent in for diagnosis. In general, I was very displeased with CyberPower. Supermicro on the other hand was great, and I recommend Supermicro to anyone who will listen. We just had them quote and build a new ESXi server, they were amazing to work with and had great prices.

Anyway, if you do verify your UPS works please let us know.

Thanks,

Dan

zobotek

Cadet
It's really easy, just check the nut support list and buy one of those. They all have different levels of support. Apc, cyber power are great starting points.
Nope. There are driver issues (e.g., USBserial /dev/ttyU*) with some USB UPS devices that use FTDIs that have prevented use with Freenas. These work fine with NUT/on freebsd. An example is Powercom in BKN-1000 USB versions.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nope. There are driver issues (e.g., USBserial /dev/ttyU*) with some USB UPS devices that use FTDIs that have prevented use with Freenas. These work fine with NUT/on freebsd. An example is Powercom in BKN-1000 USB versions.
Well you file a bug about that. If it works with freebsd it should work with freenas.

diedrichg

Wizard
I have two of the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - Pure Sine Wave - one on my FreeNAS system, and one on my home theater system (TV, HTPC, amplifier) and I have a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD on my OPNsense system. I love them! I really like the LCD info (such as Watts out and # of events) and the fact that they are pure sine wave. The CP1000PFCLCD has been running for 6.5 years and has experienced up to 100 power loss events. The CP1500PFCLCD has had no trouble communicating with FreeNAS and has successfully shutdown the system on at least two occasions.