UPS for FreeNAS

dkemppai

Dabbler
So, looking for some information.

What models of UPS's do you all actually have working with FreeNAS 11.2 u4.x?

Just dropped a bunch on a UPS that is supposed to work, but doens't. This was after taking a gamble, and buying one that appeared to be supported in NUT. (Others have it working in older versions of FreeNAS, by editing the device list...)

I really don't want to go through this again...

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:

ethereal

Guru
CyberPower CP685AVRG

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So, looking for some information.

What models of UPS's do you all actually have working with FreeNAS 11.4 u4x?

Just dropped a bunch on a UPS that is supposed to work, but doens't. This was after taking a gamble, and buying one that appeared to be supported in NUT. (Others have it working in older versions of FreeNAS, by editing the device list...)

I really don't want to go through this again...

Thanks!
Dan
It's really easy, just check the nut support list and buy one of those. They all have different levels of support. Apc, cyber power are great starting points.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What UPS are you having a problem with? Problem could be a communication issue that is not related to either FreeNAS or the UPS.
Please provide all hardware details per the forum guide.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124

dkemppai

Dabbler
What UPS are you having a problem with? Problem could be a communication issue that is not related to either FreeNAS or the UPS.
Please provide all hardware details per the forum guide.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124

Hi Chris and Sweet&Low,

Do you use a UPS? Can you post which one? I didn't specifically post about the hardware as I'm looking for a consensus on what others have good luck running.

But that said I'm not going to turn down help, in the even that I missed something dumb! :) (completely possible, as I'm new to freenas.)
The UPS is a TrippLite SMART1500LCDT. (Yes I did check NUT when I ordered this one).

The freenas console id's the device when it's plugged in, and which port it's plugged into. The UPS Service starts, just won't communicate. Same problem it turns out that others have had. There were some fixes to make it work (see below forum posts) in older versions of freenas. I've tried what I can find, however due to changes in freenas (11.x??? and up) they seem not to work any more.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/ups-help.28625/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/tripp-lite-smart1500lcdt.37039/

To save you time, NUT Pages...
https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/
https://networkupstools.org/ddl/Tripp_Lite/SMART1500LCDT.html

All that said, I needed another UPS for a windows box anyway so this SMART500LCDT was moved over there last night. At this point, I just want to order one for the freenas box that has a good chance of working. Thus, the post.

Thanks!
Dan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I run the apc sua2200rm. I have also used a cyberpwer consumer unit, I forget the model but it was just from Amazon.

You can use the upsc cli too debug your problem and see if you can get it to manually talk. This would show it working and the your problem is something else.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Do you use a UPS? Can you post which one? I didn't specifically post about the hardware as I'm looking for a consensus on what others have good luck running.
I have only used APC, but that is not to say that it is the only option, just that I have easy access to them and they have never given me any problems.
At home, I am currently using two of these:
APC Back-UPS Pro 1500
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301561
I was using three but one of them decided to stop working recently and I have not dealt with that problem yet. My servers have redundant power supplies, so I run one power supply to each UPS. It reduces the load on any single UPS which extends the run time overall.
I have a completely different solution at work, we run one of these in the bottom of each rack:
https://www.cdw.com/product/apc-symmetra-rm-2kva-scalable-to-6kva-n-1-220-240v/562656?enkwrd=562656

Last edited:

dkemppai

Dabbler
Some nice rack mount UPS's there. Probably out of the question for this system.

So, I can't seem to find the CyberPower CP685AVRG, or APC Back-UPS Pro (BX1500M) exact part number listed on the NUT site.
Just to verify, you both have these units working with freenas? Can you share what driver you are using for these units?

At this point I'm leaning towards the APC unit. Just need to get this server build done soon. Have some paying work that needs the bench...

Thanks!
Dan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The cyberpower 1500pfclcd is what I used and had working. The one you listed doesn't seem to have a driver, does it? I might have missed it. I would stick to the hid USB driver when possible they are simpler. Ups should not be difficult, you seem to make it to hard. Just pick one with a driver stop choosing tuff that doesn't even remotely work.

Last edited:

dkemppai

Dabbler
The cyberpower 1500pfclcd is what I used and had working.

OK, The cyberpower 1500pfclcd looks very promising. However, NUT reports battery voltage and output voltage are not supported readings. Although that should not affect the ability to shutdown the freenas box. Also, reviews on Amazon mention it working with freenas, so this is good.

Ups should not be difficult, you seem to make it to hard. Just pick one with a driver stop choosing tuff that doesn't even remotely work.

Uhhhh, with all due respect, all of the above UPS models were provide by other users in this thread. The purpose of which was to ask "what UPS users have working with freenas". I'm not sure how asking for advice from others, after I've spent a week of evenings reading, and dropped $165 on a 'supported' UPS that doesn't actually work with freeNAS is "making this hard".

So, My process for this whole thing was was as follows:
1. Read the documentation.
2. Looked at NUT. (As recommended in the documentation and forums).
3. Chose a UPS based on that model being supported by NUT. (TrippLite SMART1500LCDT).
4. Tested that UPS. Read documentation. Read the forums and determined it is NOT supported in FreeNAS.
5. Moved that UPS to a windows BOX. (Eating $165, oh well).
6. Asking the forum users what UPS's they actually use with FreeNAS.
7. Looking at all of the responses above, and comparing to NUT Database.
8. Hopefully ordering a 'more supported' UPS soon.
9. Filing a Bug report about a NUT supported UPS not working with FreeNAS.

Can you explain why I'm making this hard? What in particular have I done wrong? I simply don't want to order another UPS that won't work with FreeNAS.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 1500pfclcd. That's a good call.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. FYI, You are right, this SHOULDN'T be this difficult/hard!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
OK, The cyberpower 1500pfclcd looks very promising. However, NUT reports battery voltage and output voltage are not supported readings. Although that should not affect the ability to shutdown the freenas box. Also, reviews on Amazon mention it working with freenas, so this is good.

Uhhhh, with all due respect, all of the above UPS models were provide by other users in this thread. The purpose of which was to ask "what UPS users have working with freenas". I'm not sure how asking for advice from others, after I've spent a week of evenings reading, and dropped $165 on a 'supported' UPS that doesn't actually work with freeNAS is "making this hard".

So, My process for this whole thing was was as follows:
1. Read the documentation.
2. Looked at NUT. (As recommended in the documentation and forums).
3. Chose a UPS based on that model being supported by NUT. (TrippLite SMART1500LCDT).
4. Tested that UPS. Read documentation. Read the forums and determined it is NOT supported in FreeNAS.
5. Moved that UPS to a windows BOX. (Eating $165, oh well).
6. Asking the forum users what UPS's they actually use with FreeNAS.
7. Looking at all of the responses above, and comparing to NUT Database.
8. Hopefully ordering a 'more supported' UPS soon.
9. Filing a Bug report about a NUT supported UPS not working with FreeNAS.

Can you explain why I'm making this hard? What in particular have I done wrong? I simply don't want to order another UPS that won't work with FreeNAS.

Thanks for the suggestion of the 1500pfclcd. That's a good call.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. FYI, You are right, this SHOULDN'T be this difficult/hard!
What the error when you use the upscmd application?

dkemppai

Dabbler
What the error when you use the upscmd application?

Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

The console keeps scrolling this message:
May 16 16:03:15 FreeNAS upsmon[51209]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 16:03:20 FreeNAS upsmon[51209]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 16:03:25 FreeNAS upsmon[51209]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 16:03:30 FreeNAS upsmon[51209]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 16:03:35 FreeNAS upsmon[51209]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
try:
Code:
upsc -l
and
Code:
upsc tripp
and
Code:
upsc tripp -c
it should give you output like this:

# upsc apcsmartups

battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 10
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.mfr.date: 2017/11/04
battery.runtime: 840
battery.runtime.low: 120
battery.temperature: 22.0
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 55.4
battery.voltage.nominal: 48.0
device.mfr: American Power Conversion
device.model: Smart-UPS 2200 RM
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ugen0.3
driver.parameter.synchronous: no
driver.version: 2.7.4
driver.version.data: APC HID 0.96
driver.version.internal: 0.41
input.sensitivity: high
input.transfer.high: 127
input.transfer.low: 106
input.voltage: 122.4
output.current: 9.90
output.frequency: 60.0
output.voltage: 122.4
output.voltage.nominal: 120.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.delay.start: 30
ups.firmware: 665.6.D
ups.firmware.aux: 7.4
ups.load: 58.5
ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
ups.mfr.date: 2010/08/04
ups.model: Smart-UPS 2200 RM
ups.productid: 0002
ups.status: OL
ups.test.result: No test initiated
ups.timer.reboot: -1
ups.timer.shutdown: -1
ups.timer.start: -1
ups.vendorid: 051d

# upsc -c apcsmartups

If you get that output that means your ups is working and the driver is configured correctly. The error message you are seeing in your logs is showing that upsmon is not working. To figure that out can you provide a screenshot of your ups settings screen?

dkemppai

Dabbler
Hi,

All of the above commands respond with 'Connection refused.'

Text from console plugging in the UPS:
May 16 20:20:26 FreeNAS ugen0.7: <Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS> at usbus0
May 16 20:20:26 FreeNAS uhid1 on uhub0
May 16 20:20:26 FreeNAS uhid1: <Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.02, addr 9> on usbus0
May 16 20:20:28 FreeNAS upsmon[67543]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 20:20:33 FreeNAS upsmon[67543]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 20:20:38 FreeNAS upsmon[67543]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused
May 16 20:20:43 FreeNAS upsmon[67543]: UPS [tripp]: connect failed: Connection failure: Connection refused

Here's the screens shot.

UPSService.png

FYI, this seems to be related, take note of posts number 1 and 6.
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/ups-help.28625/#post-531361

I've been through the list of UPS's in this version of freenas still doesn't have the required product ID/protocol # of 0x3016 in freenas drop down list.

Anyway, maybe you can still spot a mistake I've made... Which would be good.

I appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

Thanks,
Dan

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
connection refused is not the error i was expecting. Seems like it can see it and it's registered but can't communicate with it.

Another option you can do is run the NUT service on a different host and have freenas be a slave, not the master. This way when it goes down the master service notifies all the slave services. You can use a linux box or windows box or something. Maybe that would let you have a more up to date NUT service or find a manual fix.

dkemppai

Dabbler
Another option you can do is run the NUT service on a different host and have freenas be a slave, not the master. This way when it goes down the master service notifies all the slave services. You can use a linux box or windows box or something. Maybe that would let you have a more up to date NUT service or find a manual fix.

I thought about a setup like this, but the other boxes will spend a lot of time off. And, the whole point of this freenas box was to have only one computer on 100% of the time (the main file server). This box will be connected to the rest of the network via dielectric multimode fiber to eliminate pickup loops for possible lightning strikes, with the power being supplied to the UPS through an isolation transformer with stout lightning protection (think coffee cup sized MOV's) on both sides. Ideally the server will be isolated from everything else with enough isolation and protection for surges on power. Adding another computer on the USB of the UPS breaks the isolation intended for this file server. All of this stems from a good lightning strike last summer (Nothing quite like smelling burned electronics in your computer room).

In any case, right now it seems another UPS is the best option. I actually really like the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD. But, the only issue is that exact model isn't listed in the dropdown menu in freenas. I suspect it will work fine. However, I may order the CP1000PFCLCD just to be sure, as it is listed.

Anyway, Thanks again for the help.

Dan

blanchet

Guru
I have an EATON Ellipse PRO, which is plug and play with FreeNAS since version 11.x
You just have to connect USB UBS cable between the UPS and the FreeNAS server, then enable the UPS service in FreeNAS.

Last edited:

2nd-in-charge

Explorer
freenas still doesn't have the required product ID/protocol # of 0x3016 in freenas drop down list.
Have you tried putting
Code:
vendorid = 09ae
productid = 3016
in the auxilary parameters?
Also see if
Code:
#/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a tripp -DDDD -x productid=3016 -x vendorid=09ae 
produces anything useful

dkemppai

Dabbler
Have you tried putting
Code:
vendorid = 09ae
productid = 3016
in the auxilary parameters?
Also see if
Code:
#/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a tripp -DDDD -x productid=3016 -x vendorid=09ae 
produces anything useful

I did try the product ID both in Aux paramters, and verified it was in the .conf file when done. Didn't help. I also tried all of the other tripp lite product id numbers near by in the dropdown.

I can try the command line this evening when I'm in front of the box again.

New UPS is on it's way, so that should solve the problem. However I'm willing to try some things until it arrives if that helps anyone else out someday...

Thanks,
Dan