upgrading to plex pass

csearle

Contributor
I was wondering I its possible to upgrade to Plex pass once I have installed Plex on my Freenas Server

Spiceman

Dabbler
To answer your question, yes you can and the forum has many listings on this topic.

However, you really don‘t need to upgrade your Plex plugin if you have purchased a Plex-Pass subscription. All the Plex-Pass functionality is in the standard Plex install once your account has been upgraded.

Yorick

Wizard
To be clear, the "plexmediaserver-plexpass" pkg is the beta code, the "plexmediaserver" pkg is the stable code. Both work with PlexPass features.

csearle

Contributor
Awesome thank you

elorimer

Contributor
To be clear, the "plexmediaserver-plexpass" pkg is the beta code, the "plexmediaserver" pkg is the stable code. Both work with PlexPass features.
DId we ever answer the question of why one would use the beta version over the stable version?

danb35

Hall of Famer
why one would use the beta version over the stable version?
To play with new features that haven't made it into the stable version yet, presumably.

Yorick

Wizard
DId we ever answer the question of why one would use the beta version over the stable version?

Of course. The same reason to use beta code anywhere: The desire to test new and exciting and excitingly unstable features.

Many moons ago, PlexPass features were gated to the dash plexpass code, but that’s not been the case for ... not sure, a few years?

elorimer

Contributor
Got it now. I deserved the "presumably" and "Of course." :oops: Thanks. It is the reverse of what I thought. With plexpass you can download the beta versions (at the moment .4.2865 rather than .3.2852), so the only difference between the two FreeNAS versions is that one points to the beta version and the other not. Eventually the stable one will update to those changes.

I had thought the plexpass version somehow had different features that were still in beta unrelated to the plex version you were on. It would have been clearer to me if this was described as "plexmediaserver-beta (requires plexpass)".

Partly because many threads like this talk about "upgrading to plexpass", when upgrading PMS to plexpass just requires a subscription, and changing to beta versions isn't really an upgrade.

Last edited: