Upgrading an Old Setup

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Just downloaded a fresh version of FreeNAS and after a couple of fails (Windows crashed as it ended the RUFUS build), re downloaded on my Mac and created the USB Boot using dd.
I have now passed the:
active set on ada0
installing base-os (1 of 4)

Lets see how far we get but its progress :smile:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Just finished the build and have the please reboot message so FreeNAS has installed correctly on the new (SH) SSD Drive.
I have read the documentation on upgrading and installing FreeNAS but I am still a little unsure about how to migrate my NAS system from the old Chassis / FreeNAS USB Boot Device to the new setup.
Without replacing the power supply I can't boot up the old system to backup the config. Do I need to do this or can I just put the NAS Storage Drives in the new chassis along with the old FreeNAS USB Boot Device. Leave the new SSD Drive plugged in and boot again from the FreeNAS Install USB Stick and carry out an upgrade?

Need advice please

Last edited:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Oh well, just when everything was going OK I am now getting the dreaded three long Beeps, this is an American Megatrends BIOS and that means memory, removed all sticks and replaced one at a time, same problem. Disconnected everything and booted with just the motherboard and CPU and again one stick at a time, same problem.
Tried swapping keyboards, same problem.
Cleaned all the memory contacts, reset the CMOS, then removed the CMOS battery for about 5 minutes, nothing so far has worked.

The only common theme is that the motherboard always seems to power on without having to press the front panel power button, which is connected to the fp header. When I switch on the PSU the motherboard used to wait about 30 seconds and then fire up, now it comes on straight away, then goes off then comes on again and then the three beeps.

Any ideas or is this motherboard dead, shame as I have wasted a couple of days and am no further forward, thats what you get from trying to use second hand goods I suppose!!!

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Well if the motherboard is dead, should I:
(a) Buy another of the same brand and hope I can reuse the CPU and Memory hoping they are good.
(b) Buy an alternative motherboard in which I can reuse the CPU and memory (any recommendations)?
(c) Buy a newer Mobo and CPU in which I can reuse the memory or if not buy new Mobo, CPU and Memory, again any recommendations?

Was hoping to keep this on a real low budget:smile:

styno

Patron
Not saying what you should do, but I went for (c) earlier this month when I replaced my Intel 5000V based Asus DSBV-D with a x9scl-f from ebay and in hindsight, I should've done that years ago.
Performance is still plenty, power consumption is waaaaay less, newer technology -> less fuss to get things running and I don't burn my fingertips again when touching the memory :)
Depending on where you are in the world and what is on offer this can be done on a budget.

edit: If you do want to stick with the old board you can always check for bad capacitors and replace them if needed. They tend to get bad on boards of that era.

Mr. Slumber

Contributor
Cross posting a link from @Constantin here: you may take a look at X10SDV Embedded Boards and search one of them on eBay. Maybe it'll fit your budget and you'll have FreeNAS hardware without trouble. Good luck :)

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Not saying what you should do, but I went for (c) earlier this month when I replaced my Intel 5000V based Asus DSBV-D with a x9scl-f from ebay and in hindsight, I should've done that years ago.
Performance is still plenty, power consumption is waaaaay less, newer technology -> less fuss to get things running and I don't burn my fingertips again when touching the memory :)
Depending on where you are in the world and what is on offer this can be done on a budget.

edit: If you do want to stick with the old board you can always check for bad capacitors and replace them if needed. They tend to get bad on boards of that era.

There are a couple of S5000VSA Motherboards on eBay but if I have to replace the motherboard I would be incline to agree and may opt for something newer.
Taking some inspiration from this thread here I have costed up a build using the Supermicro X10SLM-F and a Supermicro X9SCL-F.
I am not really up to speed on Intel Motherboards and CPUs but the X10SLM-F is an LGA1150 socket and the X9SCL-F is an LGA1155. Is the X9SCL-F a newer style motherboard?
The Mobo, CPU and Memory for both systems all work out around the same price.

Not priced up a suitable PSU yet.

styno

Patron
No, of those two, X10 is the newer board.
(from wikipedia: LGA 1150 is the successor of LGA 1155 and was itself succeeded by LGA 1151 in 2016.)

anmnz

Patron
I have costed up a build using the Supermicro X10SLM-F and a Supermicro X9SCL-F.
I am not really up to speed on Intel Motherboards and CPUs but the X10SLM-F is an LGA1150 socket and the X9SCL-F is an LGA1155. Is the X9SCL-F a newer style motherboard?

No, LGA 1150 is actually newer than LGA 1155. (The numbers are derived from pin count, not any chronological sequence.)

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Ok so I am looking at the X10SLM-F on eBay and have located the following CPU:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 CPU - 3.3GHz Quad Core 8MB L3 Cache, LGA 1150 Processor

But I am a little unsure about getting the correct memory, are these correct.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Well being the frugal type I actually ended up buying a replacement S5000VsA motherboard on eBay. It was cheap so I thought why not.
It is a slightly different model with 8 DIMM ports.
It was advertised as new boxed but now it has arrived it is definitely used .
So I have installed it and only 2 DIMM sticks, and the CPU and Fan from the other Mobo.
When I switch on the power the fans spin up and the status light on the back of the mobo lights up. Then it all goes to my car off. When we press the power button the fans come on and there are no post beeps or warning beeps, but I get no video. The status light stays green. The bit3 light is solid red and the LSB light is green.
Any ideas?

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
I sent a message to the eBay seller pointing out that the motherboard had been used and was not new (as listed) but said I would be happy if they could help get it working.
They have replied with an apology and have said its because it needs an older CPU and update the firmware. They then said they did not have an old CPU but have issued a refund and to keep the board.
I have just found an Intel Xeon L5335 (SLAEN) Quad-core 2.0GHz/8M/1333 Socket LGA771 Processor CPU for £9.99.

Plan is, if it works to install it and see if the Motherboard works and then re-flash the firmware to use the Xeon E5405?

Last edited:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
OK well the new CPU didn't work in this board either so it looks like this board is DOA.

I am going to take one more chance at a real budget system and opt for a SuperMicro X7DVLE, looks like it will take my XEON CPU and my 667Mhz ECC FBDIMM.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oof, X7? That's going to be a space heater with FB-DIMMs.