Upgrading an Old Setup

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Hi,

About 5 years ago I built my first ever FreeNAS Server using some really low spec parts.
I rarely use it but the PSU has just died on me and it's time I upgraded.

Before I buy some entry level parts I thought I'd just check on whether some bit's I have acquired could be put to use.

I have acquired an old server which has the following motherboard and CPU:

Intel S5000VSA
XEON Costa Rica 2.00Ghz/12M/1333 E5405

It only had 2GB of Memory.

The motherboard is very large and I'd rather not use the server case that it came in as it is massive. It would fit on one of my other standard ATX cases with some metalwork modifications :smile:

I have managed to find a manual for it here but it only only mentions 5000, 5100 or 5300 CPUs not the 5405 that is fitted?

Is it worth using this motherboard or should I opt for something more up to date?

Yorick

Wizard
Definitely doable.

For RAM, FBDIMM ECC DDR2. $20 gets you 16GB. Max the board can take is 32GB, so if you like, max it out with 8x4GB sticks :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-NANYA-...hash=item1a6d31691c:m:mtGEAz1rto_0LQpntP6lM4A

Note the heatspreaders on the RAM I linked, that's a must according to the manual: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...r/s5000vsa/sb/d36978010_s5000vsa_tps_r1_9.pdf

You have six built-in SATA ports. If you need more, an LSI HBA in IT mode is affordable off eBay and gives you another 8.

The Xeon E5405 in there is a quad core with a passmark of 2,800. Definitely enough to run file storage. You won't be transcoding a whole lot in Plex, though it could run a single 1080p transcode if desired.

I'd say: Nothing wrong with a budget system. You can get more oomph with used but more modern components, but a difference of spending 350 or spending 20-40 is noticeable.

I'm assuming you're already set for disks and FreeNAS boot media.

Since this came in a server case, you may need to look into an active CPU cooler if this came with one that assumes positive pressure server case cooling / fan ducting. If it already has an active CPU cooler, you're set.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Definitely doable.

For RAM, FBDIMM ECC DDR2. $20 gets you 16GB. Max the board can take is 32GB, so if you like, max it out with 8x4GB sticks :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-NANYA-...hash=item1a6d31691c:m:mtGEAz1rto_0LQpntP6lM4A

Note the heatspreaders on the RAM I linked, that's a must according to the manual: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...r/s5000vsa/sb/d36978010_s5000vsa_tps_r1_9.pdf

You have six built-in SATA ports. If you need more, an LSI HBA in IT mode is affordable off eBay and gives you another 8.

The Xeon E5405 in there is a quad core with a passmark of 2,800. Definitely enough to run file storage. You won't be transcoding a whole lot in Plex, though it could run a single 1080p transcode if desired.

I'd say: Nothing wrong with a budget system. You can get more oomph with used but more modern components, but a difference of spending 350 or spending 20-40 is noticeable.

I'm assuming you're already set for disks and FreeNAS boot media.

Since this came in a server case, you may need to look into an active CPU cooler if this came with one that assumes positive pressure server case cooling / fan ducting. If it already has an active CPU cooler, you're set.

The actual mobo only has 4 RAM sockets (2 x blue and 2 x black), the other 4 sockets are not soldered in, the manual all 8.
So I guess I need to find 4 x 8GB or run with 16GB memory.

Any chance of Ebay UK Links?

And yes I have 3 c 1TB WD SATA HDD's but I do need a new Boot Drive, currently using a USB Stick but may get an SATA HDD.

rb8NlFk.jpg

Would it be worth upgrading the CPU or just concentrate on the memory.

Here is a pic of the whole Mobo:

vO0n5wQ.jpg

Yorick

Wizard
I’m not convinced that board supports more than 4GB per stick. Check the manual.

With just a little bit of file storage, I don’t think you’d need more than 16GB. That’s plenty.

What are you doing that would require a beefier CPU?

Lots of room for an active cooler, that’s good. I’d check what Noctua has available for that generation of Xeon.

As for eBay U.K. links, just search for ddr2 fbdimm ecc 4gb and see what comes back.

Edit: For a boot drive, this is a good option: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-32...558941?hash=item4431292fdd:g:LKUAAOSwSe5cHA9B

Last edited:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Yorick,

I found this memory described as follows:
Memory Ram DDR2 PC2 5300 5300F 667 MHz 240 ECC Fully Buffered Dell Mac 2x Lot GB

Looks OK.
Thanks for the link to the Boot Drive.

Before I go ahead and buy anything, I need to test the Mobo, it powers up and I get a BIOS message saying no boot drive found so so far it seems OK, just need to put a windows boot drive on and see if it fires up?

Yorick

Wizard
You could create a FreeNAS install usb stick and see whether that boots okay :). Why not test with the thing you’ll be using.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Well, today I managed to get the motherboard installed into it's new (ATX) case. Had to make several modifications to get it to fit and allow access to some of the connectors that I needed, such as the additional motherboard power connector. Did some cutting with an angle grinder and had to remove the 5 1/4 CD / DVD tray as it was in the way.

Fired it up, it takes a while to boot as it has had a customised BIOS installed. I did not yet have any boot devices attached so entered the BIOS setup but somone has set a BIOS password. However I have located the BIOS password clear jumper and BIOS clear jumper.

I'd like to remove the custom BIOS and re-install the original, I wonder if I can still find it anywhere and instructions to flash a new BIOS?

FOjqX77.jpg

Yorick

Wizard
A CPU that's not in the manual, and a custom BIOS. Curious. Those two might go together. Not saying they have to, but I'd say it's even money.

Is the BIOS chip socketed? You can buy replacement BIOS chips, already flashed, on eBay. That way, if that custom BIOS is needed to drive that CPU, you can go back.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
A CPU that's not in the manual, and a custom BIOS. Curious. Those two might go together. Not saying they have to, but I'd say it's even money.

Is the BIOS chip socketed? You can buy replacement BIOS chips, already flashed, on eBay. That way, if that custom BIOS is needed to drive that CPU, you can go back.

Yes spooky, there is no socketed BIOS chip that I can see.
Here is a full image of the motherboard:

vO0n5wQ.jpg

Yorick

Wizard
Okay good news that Xeon is officially supported. See https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...rver/s5000vsa/sb/s5000vsa_msu_november_09.pdf and this section: "If you use any Intel® Xeon® Processor of the 5300 or the 5400 series in the Intel® Server Board S5000VSA and install Microsoft Windows Server 2008* on the system".

More specifically:
"Up to two 45 nm 2P Intel® Xeon® processors. Product codes S5000VSASATAR, S5000VSASASR, S5000VSASCSIR, and S5000VSA4DIMMR only. Up to two 45 nm next generation Intel® Xeon® processors. Product codes S5000VSASATAR, S5000VSASASR, S5000VSASCSIR, and S5000VSA4DIMMR only. " Taken from https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...r/s5000vsa/sb/d36978010_s5000vsa_tps_r1_9.pdf

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
It would appear there were / are four motherboards in the S5000VSA family:

S5000VSA4DIMMR
S5000VSASASR
S5000VSASATAR
S5000VSASCSIR

However I just did a Google Search using the details on the white label that sits just below the DIMM sockets (QSSA83400756 PBA E11011-101) and came up with this:

Mainboard Socket Intel S5000VSA4DIMMR S5000VSA E11011-101 E11011 Dual 771

So it is the S5000VSA4DIMMR version.

Looking deeper at the manual in the Processor section, as well as listing 5000, 5100 and 5300 processors it also says:

Up to two 45nm 2P Dual Core Intel Xeon processors
Up to two 45nm next generation quad core Intel Xeon processors

And I have found a few still for sale with the E5405 fitted.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
Okay good news that Xeon is officially supported. See https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...rver/s5000vsa/sb/s5000vsa_msu_november_09.pdf and this section: "If you use any Intel® Xeon® Processor of the 5300 or the 5400 series in the Intel® Server Board S5000VSA and install Microsoft Windows Server 2008* on the system".

More specifically:
"Up to two 45 nm 2P Intel® Xeon® processors. Product codes S5000VSASATAR, S5000VSASASR, S5000VSASCSIR, and S5000VSA4DIMMR only. Up to two 45 nm next generation Intel® Xeon® processors. Product codes S5000VSASATAR, S5000VSASASR, S5000VSASCSIR, and S5000VSA4DIMMR only. " Taken from https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...r/s5000vsa/sb/d36978010_s5000vsa_tps_r1_9.pdf

Sorry you beat me to it :smile:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
So the memory arrived today, 4 x 4GB DDR2 PC2 5300 5300F 667 MHz 240 ECC Fully Buffered
Just need to flash the BIOS to clear the password and hopefully remove the annoying reseller logo :smile:

nnZLddM.jpg

styno

Patron
Are you sure those are ECC? I remember running 6 of those (1GB) FB-DIMM Kingstons but I can't remember them having ECC capabilities.
What I DO remember is that they are running extremely hot and I had to add an extra fan just over the memory banks to keep them cool.

Yorick

Wizard
Are you sure those are ECC?
What I DO remember is that they are running extremely hot

Probably ECC. A quick Google / DuckDuckGo for F51272F51 claims them to be ECC. Let's say that's so. It can be tested, and a memory burn-in is a good idea anyhow.

They will get hot, hence those heatshields. Good cooling in the case is needed.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
The eBay listing specifications stated:

DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 240-pin FBDIMM ECC Fully Buffered

So if they are not then i'll have grounds to send them back. Need help doing a 'Burn In', I guess that's a form of memory stress test?

Sadly however when I installed all four sticks today I got the dreaded 3 beep error, I removed them all and fitted one stick at a time and found one culprit. I have contacted the seller to get one of them replaced.
Boots fine with two sticks installed, not tried three in case it needs DIMM sockets to be matched.
Hopefully the 40GB SSD will arrive tomorrow so I can do a full install test.

Also hope to re-flash the BIOS this afternoon (in a mo), not done one for years and then it was using a 3.5 Floppy :smile:

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
So I managed to flash the BIOS successfully and luckily the SSD Drive arrived so now to setup the FreeNAS.

JonnyAlpha

Contributor
OK so the test install failed. Everything was going fine and reached the Install / Upgrade section, started the install and seemed to be going OK but then it failed.
FreeOS.Exceptions.ChecksumFailException: %base-os-11. 2-U2...................... .tgz has invaild checksum.

Am I write in thinking either the download became corrupted on the USB stick or the download itself was corrupted?