upgraded 11.2-u7 to 11.3-RELEASE, no Networking in existing iocage jails

Pierce

Explorer
I can't seem to get the network working in my jails after upgrading to 11.3-release

Before I believe my jails were using bridge0 which consisted soely of bge0... the bridge disappeared in the upgrade, I tried connecting a jail to bge0, it didn't work, I tried creating a bridge0, adding bge0 to it, moving the static IP from bge0 to bridge0, and thats working for web UI and ssh to freenas itself, but the jails now won't show any available interfaces.

note I'm not using vnet, I have no need for the added complexity, just simple bridged IP's for each of a few jails.

Pierce

Explorer
I tried creating a new simple jail, gave it a static IP, selected LAN, its up and running but has no network.

Junicast

Patron
They changed a bit of how networking works in 11.3.
I suggest you create a bridge and connect your NIC to it. Give the bridge the IP, not the NIC.
When you create a jail you can say to which bridge it shall connect in the advanced network settings.

Pierce

Explorer
Thats how it was setup before the upgrade, and when I tried that yesterday, it didn't work.

but I'll try it again.....
lets see. step 1) network -> interfaces, remove IP from bge0:LAN, add bridge bridge0 w/ IP, apply changes.
(phew, networking still works)

step 2) stop 'test' jail I created, edit it.... nope, I can't select bridge0 as the ipv4 interface, it simply isn't shown as a choice (neither is bge0:LAN)

now, if I select VNET, then I can select bridge0, but when I save, then "start', I get...
Code:
Starting Jail
Error: [EFAULT] Stopped test due to VNET failure

How about deleting the bridge and rebooting then trying to re-add it?

Pierce

Explorer
phew, a few more reboots, and random thrashing around, and somehow now its working. I don't think I did anything that I didn't do the first time around ?!?

xTitus Maximusx

Dabbler
I like using vnet and it is still not working for me. The only workaround right now is to set reservations by mac and set the jails to use DHCP. Still looking for a solution. :(

I like using vnet and it is still not working for me. The only workaround right now is to set reservations by mac and set the jails to use DHCP. Still looking for a solution. :(
Thought: If your jail isn't too complex have your thought about destroying the jail and re-creating it under 11.3 as a 11.3-RELEASE-p6 jail?

You also could try creating a new test jail from scratch and see where that gets you.

HTH!

xTitus Maximusx

Dabbler
@Newfoundland.Republic I have tried to recreate a jail from scratch that was on the most recent patch level. Also the jails I have set up are pretty mission critical and would rather not rebuild them.

The gui doesn't give me a lot of error messages and just says

Code:
Jail: [EFAULT] Stopped jail due to VNET

if you pop open the shell on the freenas box and run "iocage start jail" I get this error

Code:
root@freenas:~ # iocage start jail
* Starting jail
+ Started OK
+ Using Devfs_ruleset: 6
+ Configuring VNET FAILED
route: writing to routing socket: Network is unreachable
Add net default: gateway 192.168.9.1 fib 0: Network is unreachable
Stoppped jail due to VNET failure

Not sure why it is unreachable though.

now, if I select VNET, then I can select bridge0, but when I save, then "start', I get...
Code:
Starting Jail
Error: [EFAULT] Stopped test due to VNET failure

Try not selecting an interface.

If NAT can be used, this works for me:

screenshot.130.png

For Static IP, this works. For DHCP, same deal, just with DHCP Autoconfigure IPV4 checked.

screenshot.128.png

Is/are your jail/jails "hardwired" to one of the NICs or are you using VLANs?

Here is an extract of one of my Emby jails which uses a VLAN:
"interfaces": "vnet0:bridge30", "ip4": "new", "ip4_addr": "vnet0|192.168.30.252/24", "ip4_saddrsel": 1, "vnet_default_interface": "vlan30", "vnet_interfaces": "none",

Here is one directly on one of the NICs:
"interfaces": "vnet0:bridge20", "ip4": "new", "vnet_default_interface": "igb0", "vnet_interfaces": "none",

@Seymour Butt - you might have to go into the advanced network section. Take a look in there.

@Seymour Butt - you might have to go into the advanced network section. Take a look in there.
You're probably right, but the Jail Creation Wizard in the UI doesn't require this as the necessary bits are probably done behind the scene. I find this the easiest way to get a jail up and running.

My experience was I always had to go into the advanced setup. This could be because I'm using multiple NICs and VLANs, though.

@Basil Hendroff - I just experienced the same issue with just one jail... Looking into it.

I deleted that jail (plugin) and discovered that the VLAN interfaces (created under 11.2-U7) cannot be accessed through the GUI when creating a new jail...

Edit: Seems like you need to also create the bridge in the new network configuration, too...

Looks like this is a voyage of discovery...

Edit 2: Even after recreating the VLAN and BRIDGE in the GUI and then restarting FreeNAS, the new bridge, etc. does not show up in the plugin configuration dropdown lists.

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:
Okay - it works only with DHCP enabled. Setting a static DHCP address on the DHCP server returns the static IP.
If I try to change it to a manual address, etc., the jail fails to start with networking issues.

If anyone else has the same issue, let me know and I will start a bug report in Jira.