Updating Seagate Hard Drive Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hello,

Yesterday was browsing around with putty from my netbook.. Hit smartctl on my drives and noticed that smart database indicated could be a potential firmware upgrade on my Seagate drives.. These drives have 1TB platters (2tb disks).. Upon checking the seagate website (http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223651en) it looked like I needed to upgrade from CC4B to CC4H.. I haven't had any issues with noise from the drives (one of the greens have a weird chirping sound on startup imo).. I downloaded the .ISO for CD/DOS updating..

** NOTE: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR DATA ALWAYS! **

Model NumberPart NumberCapacityFirmware Downloads
See Document ID: 004989 for instructions on updating your firmware in Windows using this .isofile.
ST3000DM0019YN1663TB
ST2500DM001 9YN16L 2.5TB
ST2000DM001 9YN164 2TB
ST1000DM003 9YN162 1TB

Previous versions of firmware with these models and part numbers are CC46, CC47, CC49, CC4C, or CC4G.
**Looks like seagate missed CC4B - All seagate firmware updates here.

Legit Reviews has an info post here..

I didn't want to burn a disk so I used YUMI and a spare USB.. Select your USB Drive Letter (D:/ E:/ etc) Point YUMI to your .ISO download (Barracuda-ALL-GRCC4H.ISO).. Use "Try An Unlisted Image Option" in the dropdown menu.. You will need a clean formatted drive fat32/fat - if hasn't been done already check that.. Warning: This erases everything from your USB.. Don't use your Freenas USB!..

When YUMI is done creating.. Select "No" to add any more operating systems and reboot your PC..

To test that the USB will boot up I like to do a quick test in the quick pop-up boot menu using F8/F12 .. This isn't a permanent change.. If YUMI boots up - shutdown the pc..

Open the side panel and remove SATA and power cables from any hard drives not affected by the updated.. Western Digitals.. Remove Optical SATA/power if your using USB.. Leave cover and screws etc to the side..

For SATA/RAID Card - I would only attempt this with connections directly to the motherboard instead of attempting firmware updates with raid cards / sata cards..

Power on the computer again..Enter the BIOS. Change SATA from AHCI (Enhanced) to IDE (Compatible). ** Disable any overclock or special settings **

Change boot option to your new USB drive *Optional if you use manual boot selection on start-up.. This varies by motherboard..I'm still figuring out UEFI.. It hasn't been working for me.. I select the USB versus the UEFI:USB.. etc.. Find your bios boot options and change to the appropriate USB..

Save and exit bios.. Your computer will now restart and you should see a YUMI boot menu.. If memory serves correctly you will see "Boot Off Main Drive" and "Try Unlisted .ISO file".. Select "Unlisted .ISO" and you will now see the Barracuda-ALL-GRCC4H.ISO. Hit enter and wait for Seagate SeaFlash to load..

Seagate Seaflash is pretty simple.. Read the readme you are presented with.. Hit escape.. You will now be allowed to use the app.. Use S to scan your drives first.. Should only see the Seagates.. Hit D to flash with the new CC4H firmware.. You will hear a beep.. and see a big SUCCESS if successful.. Once completed go to SeaFlash main menu and re-scan the drives to ensure correct firmware... Your drives are now flashed with updated firmware..

** SHUTDOWN (HARD POWER OFF) COMPUTER.. CTRL-ALT-DELETE NOT SUFFICIENT! **

Shutdown & Plug-in your drives to their original SATA cables.. .... Power on and return bios settings (IDE>AHCI) and boot options to your appropriate USB.. I don't overclock my file server and you shouldn't either! :)

Easiest way to upgrade Seagate firmware..

Code:
[root@NAS] ~# camcontrol devlist                                     
<ST2000DM001-9YN164 CC4H>          at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<ST2000DM001-9YN164 CC4H>          at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)
<WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0 51.0AB51>    at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<WDC WD20EARX-008FB0 51.0AB51>    at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (ada3,pass3)
<Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP>  at scbus6 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da0)

See ya,

Attachments

• yumi.png
    yumi.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • YUMI-boot-screen.png
    YUMI-boot-screen.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,083

BrianDMG

Explorer
I'm getting this same message (not sure if it's the same exact drive, but it is Seagate), so I appreciate the well put-together tutorial. What are the benefits of updating the driver? I only ask because it seems like a lot of work to put it for minimal benefits, and my drives all seem to be operating normally.

Yatti420

Wizard

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks for the guide!

I've got 4x3TB Seagate drives and I've managed to update 2. The others don't appear to have a firmware upgrade, but I'm still getting a FreeNAS message to say one may be available. Is this normal?

My drives are:

0 ST3000DM001 9YN166 W1F16KGV CC4H ada0
1 ST3000DM001 9YN166 S1F0XEY2 CC4H ada2
2 ST3000DM001 1CH166 S1F0SEV3 CC29 ada1
3 ST3000DM001 1CH166 Z1F3201P CC24 ada3

The message relates to drives ada1 & ada3 but the Seagate firmware finder is saying no firmware update available. There is a certificate update which I've run using the same process, but still the messages!

Yatti420

Wizard
My guess is that that specific drive isn't in the matrix hence isn't supported.. You may want to search the seagate forums.. It's now CC so I'm assuming it's new egnough.. ZFS should be able to handle any slight variations (dif firmware etc) from the drives and allocate appropriately etc..

adrianwi

Guru
Just received this e-mail from my FreeNAS box this morning :-(

The volume APE_pool (ZFS) status is DEGRADED

I'm already in work and remote access to my server is playing up, so will have to wait until this evening to investigate. Strange, as everything seemed fine after updating the firmware.

adrianwi

Guru
Very strange! I'm still pretty new to this, so really not sure exactly what I've done but it seems to have cured the problem.

When I checked the Volume Status the RAIDZ1 was showing the 4 disks with one without the ada1p2 and a long text string and UNAVAIL next to it. I assumed this was a faulty drive, but unsure which one to remove did a little more digging in the WebUI. Couldn't seem to work it out, so went back to Volume Status and clicked the only option available when clicking the offending disk - Remove

Clicked this and it showed me the serial number, so thought I'd be able to shutdown and then identify the disk. After clicking remove, I got a new option - Detach. As I was about to click this, I noticed that I now had all 4 disk with ada0-3p2 showing all with a status of ONLINE. Thought I'd click Detach on the UNAVAIL one and see what happened - it just disappeared.

I now have a yellow warning light in the WebUI telling me that one or more of the devices is being resilvered so it looks like it's fixed itself.

I've ordered a replacement drive, just in case, so will just keep an eye on things.

Any idea what might have happened?

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi Adrian,

Please open a new thread as this is the how-to (if you still need help).. I wouldn't do anything else without first getting some advice.. I'm assuming you have ECC ram (tested?) which is good.. Hopefully everything will go well..

Good luck..

BrianDMG

Explorer
Alright, so I know this thread is a million years old at this point, but I have a follow-up:

I finally got around to flashing the updated firmware a week or so ago, and have had zero problems with my drives since then. However, FreeNAS keeps popping up the notice about a possible firmware update being available for my drives (I have 2 3TB Seagates, exact same model ST3000DM001-1CH166-305). I'm 99% certain there isn't a more recent firmware update available, so is there some way to disable that notice? If not, I guess it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have that much less text to comb through.

Yatti420

Wizard
I have the same issue on these new seagates.. Apparently diff revisions require an entirely different firmware were there won't be an update etc.. Just ignore it I don't believe you can disable the warning..

Edit: Apparently the drives I initially firmware flashed have the 1tb / platter..These new seagates don't.. Probably a slight performance penalty disk vs disk but in a raidz2 with both kinds I've had zero issues so far.. Hence we see upgrade messages on them when their may not be one..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

HawkieNorway

Cadet
Personally i found it to be much more convenient to set up a windows machine just for the purpose of doing the firmware updates, and then moving the disk of same type (that the firmware update applies to) into that machine and do the update. When done i moved them back to the servers they belonged to. Only thing to watch then is to NOT format the disks when detecting them in the windows machine.

Why did I do it this way? Well the firmware updates from WD and Hitachi is much better in windows.

Yatti420

Wizard
Personally i found it to be much more convenient to set up a windows machine just for the purpose of doing the firmware updates, and then moving the disk of same type (that the firmware update applies to) into that machine and do the update. When done i moved them back to the servers they belonged to. Only thing to watch then is to NOT format the disks when detecting them in the windows machine.

Why did I do it this way? Well the firmware updates from WD and Hitachi is much better in windows.

Flashing in windows? I consider that a big nono.. Your best to just use a DOS usb.. Most have files ready to go.. No moving disks or risking any mess ups..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Yatti420

Wizard
Just an update.. I forgot to post earlier.. The CC4H drives are truly 1TB/Platter.. Where as the new drives in the family (same model #s) for eg is a different platter config..

See my disks now..

Code:
<ST2000DM001-9YN164 CC4H>          at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass0)
<ST2000DM001-9YN164 CC4H>          at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (ada1,pass1)
<ST2000DM001-1CH164 CC27>          at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (ada2,pass2)
<ST2000DM001-1CH164 CC27>          at scbus3 target 0 lun 0 (ada3,pass3)
<ST2000DM001-1CH164 CC27>          at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (ada4,pass4)
<ST2000DM001-1CH164 CC27>          at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (ada5,pass5)
<Kingston DataTraveler 3.0 PMAP>   at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass6)

Yatti420

Wizard
It's amazing to see how many iterations of drive Seagate is going to bring out for the model.. Sadly their specs (within warranty-support search) pages are wrong now (they just use the 2 platter/4 head for all drives)

I' see from posts...
ST2000DM001-9YN164 CC4H
ST2000DM001-1CH164 CC27
ST2000DM001-1ER164 CC25

http://rml527.blogspot.ca/2010/10/hdd-platter-database-seagate-35.html

*Like the similar WD Greens and Reds, the 2TB Barracuda ST2000DM001 can be found at random in a range of platter configurations - the 'perfect' two-platter version or two different three-platter models, which are slower and might also be less reliable. If you have an ST2000DM001 that weighs more than 600 grams, has a shallow (as opposed to deep and wide) depression on the cover (like this), and HD Tune reports a maximum read transfer rate of less than 190MB/s, you have a three-platter unit, and you may want to consider getting a refund.

*There seems to be another way to determine the platter count of an ST2000DM001 - by looking at the third character of the serial number. An 'E' seems to point to a two-platter unit. An 'F' seems to mark a three-platter one. For example, W1Exxxxxxx = two-platter, W1Fxxxxxxx = three-platter. Seagate might change this scheme at any moment, though, so watch out. Thanks to ~fzabkar for this info.

Last edited:

Yatti420

Wizard
Status
Not open for further replies.