Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

TrueOS Update to 12 U2 works but with major problems

j77h

FreeNAS Aware
Thanks
It's only that until 19.07 there was no STABLE branch, only RELEASE and when I tried to update from 19.07 to 12 U2 ...
If I understand right, using BEs as their designers intended could have saved you from disaster.
I think the idea is to never update in the current BE,
always update into a new one, so you can roll back to where you were if things go wrong.
Older BEs can be removed when you're sure everything's working OK.

BEs don't take as much space as one might think, because they are ZFS snapshots;
the space used is only the diff between the old and the new.

As JG hinted, you can also ZFS-snapshot whatever you want whenever you want,
as a safeguard against accidental deletions and bad changes.
A new snapshot takes no space at all; the space used grows when you alter files.

Last edited:
Thanks
If I understand right, using BEs as their designers intended could have saved you from disaster.
I think the idea is to never update in the current BE,
always update into a new one, so you can roll back to where you were if things go wrong.
Older BEs can be removed when you're sure everything's working OK.

I only know one way to update, either by Update Manager or by command line. I have no idea if any of those ways update to a current or new BE, but I think they update to new BE's since there's always ZFS snapshots. In that case I don't know how to update into a current BE.

BEs don't take as much space as one might think, because they are ZFS snapshots;
the space used is only the diff between the old and the new.
Yes, I know that. I also delete older BE's after I'm convinced that the new one works good. But I use to leave the Initial one.

As JG hinted, you can also ZFS-snapshot whatever you want whenever you want,
as a safeguard against accidental deletions and bad changes.
A new snapshot takes no space at all; the space used grows when you alter files.
I know that too. But I don't know how to do that in the new Update Manager, only in the old one (the one that says NR for the current. Is it that the one called Device Manager? Can't look right now since TrueOS SysAdm is broken) that has more options.

j77h

FreeNAS Aware
Thanks
Looks like I've been a bit slow to realize you haven't actually lost anything.
You did mention "rollback to 19.07" a couple of times, and i didn't realize
that you meant roll back to your 1907 BE, which is still intact and working.

Thanks
Well yea, my 19.07 works and is intact, but it kinda destroyed Firefox. Or "destroyed", it works but the profile doesn't work/doesn't load, instead it just want's me to create a new profile.
It just says that the Firefox version in 19.07 is older than in 19.08 and therefor the content in the profile can be corrupted.

This is also the reason why I won't overwrite my existing drive, but get a new one to install 12 STABLE on. And the reason for this is:
A. I'm gonna make a backup file of 19.08 that I'm on right now (I can't rollback to 19.07 or I can, but my Firefox profile won't work/load)
B. I'm thinking that if the backup from 19.08 won't work/load on 12 STABLE and I've overwritten the drive, then I'm really in trouble.

I may have overdone this text, but I'm trying explain this as good as I can, and also since English isn't my native language. But I hope you understand what I mean.

However, I find it all a little strange (that's why I got pissed on Firefox). I've done these kind of backups and set it back very many times with no problem what so ever. Even when I upgraded from the way outdated PC-BSD to Trident (without passing former TrueOS Desktop) the backup file had no problem at all to acclimatize it self to the new OS.

But suddenly when I try to use Firefox from 19.08 in 19.07 it doesn't work(?)
Or is it simply that the profiles aren't backward compatible?

If that's the fact and since 12 STABLE is a kinda older version than 19.08 I'm thinking if the backup from 19.08 will work in 12 STABLE.
I do have a backup file from 19.07, but it doesn't contain the latest stuff I saved. Or I could use two backup files. The 19.07 for Firefox and build a new one for Thunderbird.
On the other hand, I did just that not to destroyed my Thunderbird files, isolated the current file from Firefox and loaded the new one. Result: Not even the Internet didn't load in Firefox. That's when I fired up the laptop and wrote the "help"-thread. After that I updated to 19.08 again and got it to work again.

I hope I didn't complicate and mess up this text too much :oops:

j77h

FreeNAS Aware
Thanks
Apologies if I wasted anyone's time being a bit thick.
Been a bit under the the influenza for a while (flu season here in Aus).
That's my excuse anyway ;)

when I try to use Firefox from 19.08 in 19.07 it doesn't work(?)
Or is it simply that the profiles aren't backward compatible?
"profiles aren't backward compatible" is the way it seems to me (due to firefox versions not trident versions).
Have a look at the firefox website; should be mentioned somewhere.

backup file of 19.08 that I'm on right now
Does Firefox in your 1908 have all your bookmarks?
If so, you can export them as a .json file (open bookmarks manager and do 'backup')
The json file is likely to be compatible with the older version in your 1907, so you could import them there.
(can also save as an html file full of links, that you can use in any browser)

But I guess you had the bookmarks in 1907 and you don't have them in 1908 ... ?
If so, there should be a json (or other type) file of bookmarks in your last good profile folder.
(only guessing, it's been a while since i messed around with a ff profile, but it's worth looking there.)

since 12 STABLE is a kinda older version than 19.08
Not entirely.
STABLE has an older base system (FreeBSD 12), but the apps are up to date.
see https://project-trident.org/download/#differences-between-versions

Thanks
"profiles aren't backward compatible" is the way it seems to me (due to firefox versions not trident versions).
That may explain it.

Does Firefox in your 1908 have all your bookmarks?
If so, you can export them as a .json file (open bookmarks manager and do 'backup')
The json file is likely to be compatible with the older version in your 1907, so you could import them there.
(can also save as an html file full of links, that you can use in any browser)
But I guess you had the bookmarks in 1907 and you don't have them in 1908 ... ?
If so, there should be a json (or other type) file of bookmarks in your last good profile folder.
(only guessing, it's been a while since i messed around with a ff profile, but it's worth looking there.)
Yes, I have all bookmarks in 19.08 and my present backup file that I have is 19.07 but several months old.
I know how to save bookmarks, but there's a lot of other stuff I have saved in Firefox that I don't wanna loose.

However I just checked Firefox and Thunderbird versions in 19.08 vs. 12 U2 and they are the same, so it should work.
I have 12 U2 iso already downloaded and I won't update my current 19.08 any more so hopefully everything will work out when I switch drives and install 12 U2 next week or so.

Not entirely.
STABLE has an older base system (FreeBSD 12), but the apps are up to date.
see https://project-trident.org/download/#differences-between-versions
Good! Didn't see that before. And now I also checked it my self (above).

Thanks
Tried it already, didn't work.

I opened the profile as in #2. "Launch profile in new browser" made just the message to come up. As last resort I tried to click "Set as default profile". That made Firefox to crash totally and couldn't even be opened any more. After that I rolled the OS up again to 19.08.

#3 on the website is not applicable to this system since it's about Firefox.exe . Or it may work somehow if I would change the setting in "about:config". But I don't care any more. I have the new SSD drive here now and probably next week it goes into the machine and try to load 12 STABLE from UEFI. With a little luck the whole Trident experience will get better after that.

Thanks
did you even look in the ~/HOME/.mozilla directory to see if original profile was there
Yes, There was two, but I didn't know which one it was. I first learned that after I found this page https://techdows.com/2019/05/switch-to-old-profile-from-new-profile-in-firefox-67.html . After that it was easy to fix.

However, I wasn't able to restore the original profile in 19.07, so I had to roll back up to the broken 19.08.
Anyway, that is obsolete now. The next thing I'm gonna do is to swap the drive and try to make 12 STABLE via UEFI to run which you already recommended last week in post #23 :).
I did hesitate to do that before, but as it is now I don't have much choice. But I'll do that on a new drive so I don't loose anything if it goes south. Formatting a drive with a functional system (although it's semi-broken) is always a gamble. And building a new UEFI BE on a drive that has BIOS I see that as dangerous. If that even works, but then it may be too late.

This is an UEFI machine, but for some reason I don't remember I did a BIOS install when I installed Trident. So I guess there is a good chance that it may work better afterwards, I hope.