Update of Syncthing failed..... why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaptain_zero

Cadet
While I was perusing my Freenas interface. I noticed there was an available update for my Syncthing plugin. I thought, why not.... and told it to update..... it failed miserably. I was unable to get it to run, and even after I deleted it and attempted to re-install it again, it would not run, and there was an "there was an error" message flashing up on the screen. I checked another plug in and it had the same issue, when I attempted to run it after an install.

I did a tail /var/log/messages to see what was going on and I added the results to this message, I can only hope you can see it. I'm a bit flabbergasted as FreeNas has been running flawlessly for over a year.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

log-freenas.png

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The plugin infrastructure is not very reliable. In my experience it works best when jails have VIMAGE disabled, and jails are assigned to an actual interface.

kaptain_zero

Cadet
Well, I was unable to change VIMAGE or assign an actual interface, it simply will not allow me to do anything... I can click the checkbox on the VIMAGE in the jails configuration and it will not uncheck. I cannot start the plugin, it simply states "some error occured". The configurations appear to still be there, storage is correctly assigned, even though I deleted the failed upgrade and then later installed and deleted the plugin several times.

I did not get ANY useful information when using tail /var/log/messages in the Jail's own terminal, but in FreeNAS terminal, I got the following:

[root@freenas ~]#
[root@freenas ~]# tail /var/log/messages
Jul 16 17:09:23 freenas kernel: epair1a: promiscuous mode enabled
Jul 16 17:09:23 freenas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair1b
Jul 16 17:09:23 freenas kernel: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair1b
Jul 16 17:09:23 freenas devd: Executing '/etc/pccard_ether epair1b start'
Jul 16 17:09:23 freenas devd: Executing '/etc/rc.d/dhclient quietstart epair1a'
Jul 16 17:09:24 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Execute: SendResponses didn't send all its responses; will try again in one second
Jul 16 17:09:24 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Execute: SendResponses didn't send all its responses; will try again in one second
Jul 16 17:09:24 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00000008014D0D60 freenas.local.
(Addr) that's already in the list
Jul 16 17:09:24 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00000008014D1180 118.100.168.192
.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list
Jul 16 17:09:34 freenas manage.py: [freeadmin.navtree:631] An error occurred while unserializing from http://192.168.100.118/plugins
/syncthing/5/_s/treemenu: No JSON object could be decoded
[root@freenas ~]#

It appears something has gone wrong.... And unlike a normal install of a Linux distribution where I could simply nuke and pave, I believe that the faulty settings or whatever they are, are stored somewhere in the storage pool and not on the thumb drives, right? Is there some why of restoring the default install so I can re-install plugins and redo my configurations?

For what it's worth, my hardware consists of a quad core Intel atom based Asrock board with 16Gb of ecc ram and 5 2TB drives. Unfortunately, I did not set up snapshots of the entire storage pool, but rather just the individual datasets to protect their stored data, or perhaps I could have rolled it back that way?

My Transmission plugin is still going strong, as was the Syncthing plugin until my failed update.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
do you have interfaces defined available to assign, or did you nedmver do this before?

kaptain_zero

Cadet
I did not have interfaces configured, but after I added my nic I still cannot select it in the jails configuration and I cannot uncheck VIMAGE.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry, not sure why. maybe you need to use a static IP for your jail?

kaptain_zero

Cadet
Well, I cannot install *any* plugin anymore..... always the same errors as shown above. The one plugin that I have that is still running is Transmission, and that will have to do for now. I was thinking of perhaps burning a couple new USB drives with the latest image, but I'm unsure if it will overwrite the settings that, as I understand it, are stored in the ZFS pool instead of in the USB drives? I'm thinking of a clean install and starting from scratch, without loosing my data in the pool.

Naturally, as everything else is working fine, perhaps I should just wait for the next release before doing such a rash upgrade and import of the pool?!?!?

As for static IP's and such.... the fact that I cannot properly install the plugin prevents me from configuring it.... It's a very strange error, and one I am ill equipped to fix, other than a brute force "nuke and pave".

kaptain_zero

Cadet
The plot has thickened today... I installed Wednesday Aug 3rd/4th update to FreeNAS and can now install the plugins again, however, it appears I cannot successfully link it to storage in a jail for some reason.

Output from tail in the Syncthing jail:

root@syncthing_1:/ # tail /var/log/messages
Aug 4 10:33:35 syncthing_1 newsyslog[26581]: logfile first created
Aug 4 10:33:35 syncthing_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Aug 4 10:34:25 syncthing_1 dhclient[26127]: connection closed
Aug 4 10:34:25 syncthing_1 dhclient[26127]: exiting.
Aug 4 10:34:25 syncthing_1 syslogd: exiting on signal 15
Aug 4 10:38:30 syncthing_1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
root@syncthing_1:/ #

I'll have to re-read the instructions on adding storage to a plugin. The plugin does run, I can access it via the http interface as before, it just claims that it cannot access storage..... I shall continue my search for answers.

One thing that dawned on me, and that *may* have some impact... I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the update from 9.3 to 9.10 there was something changed when it came to plugins. My one working plugin, Transmission, is still going strong from the 9.3 and update to 9.10, but it must be under the old system..... Am I running into issues with the new plugin as it may be trying to use some configuration files from the old setup?

Regards

Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.