SOLVED Update from 9.10.2-U1 to 9.10.2-U2 breaks XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
I recently updated to 9.10.2-U2 (from 9.10.2-U1), and after the update, I can no longer log in to a FreeNAS Samba share from a Windows XP Pro box. The password is rejected. Not likely because of typos, because two different users have tried, several times each, always failing.

Works fine from other Windows versions (have tried 7 and 10).

I did not make any Samba config changes along the way.

I reverted to saved U1 boot, and XP works fine again.

"Server maximum protocol" is SMB3, "Server minimum protocol" is unset. I looked at these when booted both U1 and U2 and they were the same.

Any ideas? Any info (config files etc) I can offer to help diagnose?

bigphil

Patron
Last edited:

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
NTLMv1 is disabled by default for Samba 4.5+ and version 4.5.5 ships with 9.10.2-U2. Not saying it is the problem, but that is the path I'd head down to start with.

So, does U2 offer a way to enable NTLMv1? I've looked. I haven't found it. Not in the SMB Settings.

And...

If U2 supports SMB4, why is there no SMB4 appearing in either of the Minimum/Maximum server protocol menus? Because I was hoping that tweaking which protocols the server supported might force NTLMv1 use. But, as I say, SMB4 is not only not being used, but isn't even mentioned.

My apologies if these are dumb questions/comments. I am no Samba expert.

Phil Dumont

Dabbler
So, does U2 offer a way to enable NTLMv1? I've looked. I haven't found it. Not in the SMB Settings.

And...

If U2 supports SMB4, why is there no SMB4 appearing in either of the Minimum/Maximum server protocol menus? Because I was hoping that tweaking which protocols the server supported might force NTLMv1 use. But, as I say, SMB4 is not only not being used, but isn't even mentioned.

My apologies if these are dumb questions/comments. I am no Samba expert.
I think I answered my own question.

Adding ntlm auth = yes to "Auxiliary parameters" seems to do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cbr

bigphil

Patron

That's because it doesn't exist. You're confusing Samba (software suite) and SMB (protocol). SMB 3.1.1 is the latest version of the protocol.

With some chagrin I report that my Sonos system (firmware version 7.1) also failed to connect to FreeNAS 9.10.2-U2. Telltale sign in the syslog: "NTLMv1 passwords NOT PERMITTED".

Adding ntlm auth = yes to "Auxiliary parameters" does the trick here as well.

Thanks Phil Dumont!!! And shame on you, Sonos...

NeverSimple

Dabbler
Same here with Western Digital Live media player. Although it did not tell me anything about what went wrong, it just didn't connect to the share anymore. Adding "ntlm auth = yes" to "Auxiliary parameters" also worked. Thanks for the info!

Now I only have to Google what horrible backdoor I just opened with that parameter.... :eek::)

Richard

Christian 128

Dabbler
Hi, I have same problem with my CCTV IP cameras, not possible to login on the specific drive on my nas after update to 9.10.2-U2 . For the cameras (hikvision) it will not possible to write the data on the drive. But with the last versions 9.10.2-U1 no problem.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Phil, with your solution :
Adding "ntlm auth = yes" to "Auxiliary parameters" seems to do the trick.

on Samba parameters. It will work perfectly.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I understand is important upgrade the version of freenas, but some time when the other devices what we use and need to save data on the storage, is not possible to utpdate them, and I found the solution in this forum.

Regards
Chris

Last edited:

NicCrockett

Dabbler
Unfortunately for us the Auxiliary parameter didn't do the trick. Unless someone else has an additional suggestion I'm stuck using 9.10.2 U1. Thanks to anyone who can help.

only1miller

Cadet
Adding ntlm auth = yes to "Auxiliary parameters" did the trick for me as well! My SONOS system stopped connecting to my music library and I couldn't figure out what happened. Of course there was a SONOS update the same time as the FreeNAS update so that confused things.

Thanks for posting here!!!

Maroko

Cadet
Adding ntlm auth = yes helped me on Windows XP.
Thank you very much!

GAR71

Cadet
Thanks so much. Been working on this for a couple nights and that did the trick.

scurrier

Patron
Strangely, I'm having NTLMv1 login issues as well on Windows 10, as indicated by the smbd logs in FreeNAS. Anyone know how to force Windows 10 to a better protocol?

msaizar

Cadet
I recently updated to 9.10.2-U2 (from 9.10.2-U1), and after the update, I can no longer log in to a FreeNAS Samba share from a Windows XP Pro box. The password is rejected. Not likely because of typos, because two different users have tried, several times each, always failing.

Works fine from other Windows versions (have tried 7 and 10).

I did not make any Samba config changes along the way.

I reverted to saved U1 boot, and XP works fine again.

"Server maximum protocol" is SMB3, "Server minimum protocol" is unset. I looked at these when booted both U1 and U2 and they were the same.

Any ideas? Any info (config files etc) I can offer to help diagnose?

-----------------------------------------------
FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6
I can no longer log in to a FreeNAS Samba share from a Windows XP Pro (SP3).
The password is rejected.

SOLUTION
Services->SMB->Parámetros auxiliares: ntlm auth = yes (text box)
-----------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.