Update and Upgrade without internet access

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
I have a very unusual setup. Specifically, when I expect a reboot, I must manually go off the internet. If I don't disconnect the internet before rebooting, I run the risk of data loss. For the situation below, keep in mind this constraint.

I need some correct terminology. I believe all versions are named a.b(-Uc) where -Uc is optional, such as 11.3-U1 or 11.2. I don't know what a change in a, b or c is called. I think a is major upgrade, b is minor upgrade and c is update? Is there anything else (only considering -STABLE), maybe a patch?

Next, the manual says the manual updates cannot be used for a major version upgrade. Does this mean 11.2 to 12.0 or does it also mean 11.2 to 11.3?

When FN downloads updates (auto or GUI manual triggered) it is not downloading the manual update file since the manual one is unsigned. So why would we have the option to d/l ourselves offline? Perhaps to go from -U3 to -U4 when -U5 is current? Having a db background, I hate copies of data as they always seem to get out of sync and it seems the manual update files duplicate the data in the signed update files. I would rather stick with the "mainstream" (which still involves two copies: installation and signed update!). Software is difficult enough to control but when each patch has multiple delivery methods it is even harder.

Now for the biggie. One would think that the download only (scheduled or demand) followed by Apply Pending Update would allow me to download while connected to the internet then disconnect then Apply. That doesn't seem to be the case. During the Apply, it seems to access files on ixsystems and fails. I don't know if this is just for major upgrades, for all upgrades or for both upgrades and updates. Also, maybe it is only for some of each. Don't know. Would love to hear from someone who does.

So I know I can d/l the full .iso, boot off it and upgrade/update from the boot but that is a bit of a pain. Perhaps I can d/l the manual update file and it will apply without checking? Are there manual update files for the minor upgrades as well? I know I can't use a manual update file for major upgrade but how about a minor upgrade? How about skipping over some (e.g. from 11.2 to 11.3-U1)?

What is my best way to upgrade given that I must be off the internet from the point of starting the upgrade until complete.

Keith

GeekGoneOld

Dabbler
Hmm... In the 11.3 Guide in section 2.5 it says
This section describes how to perform an upgrade from an earlier version of FreeNAS® to 11.3. After 11.3 has been installed, use the instructions in Update to keep the system updated.
In other words, you aren't supposed to update by using the .iso. This may pose huge problem for those who must update offline since I've seen updates require online access.

So I ask again, what is the best way to update offline?

1. Use .iso
Pain in the butt (loading .iso, booting off it ...)
Not recommended per 11.3 Guide 2.5

2. Download manual patch
Not signed
Does it guarantee no internet required?

Anyone's input is welcome.

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Section 2.5.3 specifically instructs you how to upgrade via ISO, 2.5 even specifically states major releases can be updated with the ISO method.

Upgrades to major releases, for example from version 9.3 to 9.10, can still be performed using either an ISO or the web interface. Unless the Release Notes for the new major release indicate that the current version requires an ISO upgrade, either upgrade method can be used.

Section 7.14.6 is talking about a manual update through the GUI. I never tried that method so I can't comment on it, I have no idea what it entails. I'm still on 11.1, but I've updated one of my boxes with the ISO method just fine, not sure what version it was. I did it all over IPMI though, so I never had to access the box itself. Also, you really should be fixing your hardware if you might suffer data loss from a reboot, that isn't normal at all particularly since you have a RAIDZ2 configuration.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hmm... In the 11.3 Guide in section 2.5 it says

In other words, you aren't supposed to update by using the .iso. This may pose huge problem for those who must update offline since I've seen updates require online access.

So I ask again, what is the best way to update offline?

1. Use .iso
Pain in the butt (loading .iso, booting off it ...)
Not recommended per 11.3 Guide 2.5

2. Download manual patch
Not signed
Does it guarantee no internet required?

Anyone's input is welcome.
I don't know which version of FreeNAS you're using, but the System->Update page contains a 'Manual Update' pushbutton I've used many times to update FreeNAS on systems that aren't connected to the internet.

Using a system with internet access, you will need to download updates from the iXsystems download site located here:

This is essentially an FTP server on which you can navigate to your desired update folder -- including older versions! -- and download tar files specifically intended for manual updates, along with an SHA256 checksum you can use to validate the update file. Copy the tar file to a CD/DVD/USB drive to transport it to your secure server, then apply the update using the 'Manual Update' pushbutton mentioned above. Be sure to save a copy of your configuration file before proceeding, but note that later version of FreeNAS helpfully remind you to do this.

Here's a screenshot of the directory for FreeNAS 11.3-U1:

fn13update.jpg