SOLVED Unsupported volume type

hendry

Explorer
When trying to use my FreeNAS which holds my FCPX libraries with FCPX on MacOS over a smb:// share I get:

Screenshot 2019-01-08 at 11.57.26 AM.png

I heard that FCPX will work with Libraries on network shares if the share is fast enough. I have a wired gigabit connection here. Is there something I am missing??

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

This may work better in the next update as we have bumped the Samba version for better Apple support.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
A quick google search took me to a apple support page https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT207128 stating vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
need to be enabled on the server for Final Cut to work that is were i would start looking into the problem. @anodos seems to be the SMB guru but i'm not sure he has a MAC to test with

Yeah, I use a Mac daily. Supporting them is complicated. :) In recent versions of FreeNAS, enabling fruit should configure most of what you need. It does not turn on Catia (I may add a checkbox for that later, but I'm somewhat disinclined to add new things to the UI without pulling out some things).

on the line that says vfs_objects the arrow on the right will display a list you can then check fruit and catia

Last edited:

hendry

Explorer
on the line that says zfs_objects the arrow on the right will display a list you can then check fruit and catia

Whoa... whoa... it works! FINALLY OMG.

I LOVE YOU

It does not turn on Catia (I may add a checkbox for that later, but I'm somewhat disinclined to add new things to the UI without pulling out some things).
I personally like the layout as is for the vfs_objects in 11.2u2, the fact that i had to go into my testing vm to figure out how to actually enable them however may point to a documentation issue though.

hendry

Explorer
I'm running into big two issues:

Samba is reporting 500GB and Freenas says (correctly) it's 15GB. This makes it painful to move back to MBP.
size-mismatch.png

When working with the FCPX Library from my MBP over Gigabit network to the FreeNAS, I can edit fine. But export does not work! https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250247228

clueluzz

Dabbler
Hi Hendry,

I'm about to build a FreeNAS for FCPX use predominatly. Did you ever get this sorted?

hendry

Explorer
Hi Hendry,

I'm about to build a FreeNAS for FCPX use predominatly. Did you ever get this sorted?

Nope! I haven't tried since an update last week mind.

If I want to look at old library I just copy the whole thing locally, aka a bit of a waste of time.

clueluzz

Dabbler
FCPX community recommends using NFS instead of SMB to connect to the NAS. I'm still trying to figure out how to set that up both on server and client side. IF I figure it out, I'll share.

clueluzz

Dabbler
Hi Hendry,

I've built my FreeNAS but am still navigating through the menus, understanding vdevs, pools, etc. I've managed to get the SMB share with catia, fruit and streams_xattr turned on. Works fine however I haven't run into the problem you are facing.

I haven't gotten around to setting up NFS but I found this video that might be able to help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_gvwU15EyE

I'm planning to test it out tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. FYI, I've gotten NFS working on my Synology and seems to be working without issue.

hendry

Explorer
I always perhaps wrongly thought that NFS was deprecated as a network store on MacOS and SMB was the one to use.

I you can load a FCPX library over NFS, I'd be very impressed! And I wonder what happens to your mount if you change from wired to wireless!

clueluzz

Dabbler
I can confirm that I've successfully loaded and used FCPX library directly from the NAS using NFS on Synology. I'll be trying the NFS setup on FreeNAS tomorrow.

Btw, I've edited wirelessly but using ProResLT at 720p. So long as nobody else is hogging the bandwidth (or a second editor is also on WiFi), it is possible to offline. However, the max transfer WiFi I got was about 30MB/s (basically USB2 speeds).

Last edited:

clueluzz

Dabbler

hendry

Explorer
I thought (probably wrongly) samba was the way to go with Apple file sharing. I guess I will try make the switch to NFS.

How do measure the performance between FCPX and your FreeNAS? Is it seamless across a wired connection?

clueluzz

Dabbler
It feels as fast as an SSD via USB-C (approximately 500MB/s). This could be becoz of my current zpool and vdev setup. However, I haven't tested across multiple clients yet. I'm aiming to flood my 10GbE. I will do further tests and keep you posted.