Unsupported USB Ethernet Adapter ( Apple MC704ZM-A )

Status
Not open for further replies.

rishabtaneja

Cadet
Hey !! This is my first post so please be gentle ...

I've just built my 3rd Freenas box using a mini ITX Board ( INTEL D2500HN ) the onboard nic is working fine. However, I need another nic for a separate network since the cabinet cannot accept a pci card i decided to buy an Apple USB to Ethernet adapter (MC704ZM-A) which I read somewhere is supported by FreeBSD. However when i connect it i get " ugen7.2: <vendor 0x05ac> at usbus7 " and no new interfaces in the GUI ifconfig also shows the onboard nic only.

Any help in getting the Adapter to work is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Rishab

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I googled your USB adapter. Using USB adapters really sucks from past experience. I googled your adapter and someone does make the claim that it is supported on FreeBSD.

What I'd do is install FreeBSD 8.3 temporarily on a spare drive and see if the device is picked up. It could be that there are no FreeBSD 8.3 drivers. If it works with with FreeBSD 8.3 then I'd put a ticket in at support.freenas.org to get the drivers added. Otherwise, if you don't want to wait for the driver to be added you could copy the .ko driver from the FreeBSD 8.3 installation and copy it to FreeNAS USB stick and add the tunable to load the driver yourself.

rishabtaneja

Cadet
Finally !! It's Working !!

Thank You "noobsauce80" for pointing me in the right direction ...

But somehow files from FreeBSD 8.3 do not work with Freenas 8.3. But , if_axe.ko & uether.ko from FreeBSD 8.1 work with Freenas 8.0.4 ( FreeBSD 8.2 ).

I have also tested a Davicom 9601 USB to Ethernet using if_udav.ko & uether.ko on 8.0.4 as well, it also works.

So anyone who wants the files ( if_axe.ko , if_udav.ko & uether.ko ) please PM me your email id and I'll mail you the files.

Installation is simple :

ssh into Freenas
mount -uw /
cp ***x/if_axe.ko /boot/kernel/
cp ***x/uether.ko /boot/kernel/
chmod 555 /boot/kernel/if_axe.ko
chmod 555 /boot/kernel/uether.ko
kldload /boot/kernel/uether.ko
kldload /boot/kernel/if_axe.ko

Check if the Apple USB Ethernet adapter is detected ( in 8.3 i get a Kenel Panic at this stage, however 8.0.4 works fine )

if it does then just do the following so that the module is loaded on every boot

echo if_axe_load="YES" >> /boot/loader.conf

Reboot and Apple USB Ethernet should be detected.

I'm getting Decent speed of around 11 MBps and connection is stable.

I'll report back if I can get it to work with 8.3 as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rishab

mattmac24

Dabbler
Is anybody able to send me the files mentioned here or tell me how i can get them myself? Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
But somehow files from FreeBSD 8.3 do not work with Freenas 8.3. But , if_axe.ko & uether.ko from FreeBSD 8.1 work with Freenas 8.0.4 ( FreeBSD 8.2 ).

Ok, well look for a distribution of FreeBSD 8.1 as mentioned above and copy the files from that. Make sure you get the correct version for your release of FreeNAS amd64 (x64) or i386 (x86).

Status
Not open for further replies.