UNMAP failed

Rene2322

Cadet
A few months ago I setup a home-server with a ESXi 6.5 hypervisor and some VM's. One of these VM's (called VM-NAS-01) is running FreeNAS 11.2-U8. 1 dedicated storage controller in passthru mode. 1 datapool consisting of 6x 3TB WD-red in RaidZ2 and a 16GB Optane M10 for ZIL. I'm still using this NAS for testing and learning before I start filling it with value content.

Last week I (successfully) upgraded my Hypervisor to ESXi 7.0. While booting the VM's again I noticed an error in the console of the FreeNAS-VM.

Code:
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): UNMAP failed, switching to WRITE SAME(16) with UNMAP BIO_DELETE
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): UNMAP. CDB 42 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 (Invalid field in CDB)
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Command byte 7 is invalid
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0): Error 22, Unretryable error

I'm not sure this is a result of my upgrade, or a result of the power failure a few weeks ago where my server didn't respond fast enough to the signal of my UPS. I just noticed it today.

Anyway, the web-interface is fully responding, showing no errors. I'm not understanding whats wrong here.
Upgrading to the latest stable train 11.3 didn't solve this. Every reboot, the console is showing this same error.

What actions are needed to solve his?

sdhuff79

Cadet
Just upgraded to 11.3-U3 from 11.3-U3.2 when I noticed the error. But I am in the same setup with FreeNAS as a VMware VM using LSI card passthrough setup. I tried several things by disabling sysctl kern.cam.da.0.delete_method=DISABLE and that doesn't work.

Rene2322

Cadet
Code:
(da0:mpt0:0:0:0)
seems to be my ESXi datastore (NVMe SSD). Physically there is nothing wrong with this disk, so maybe my upgrade went a little wrong for this Virtual Machine.

Is it possible to move the FreeNAS configuration to another clean FreeNAS instance? Because when I create a new Virtual Machine running the latest FreeNAS no errors appear in the console.

Is it like:
- create a "new FreeNAS" VM with the exact same hardware
- save config from "old FreeNAS"
- shutdown "old FreeNAS"
- boot "new FreeNAS"
- upload config into "new FreeNAS"
Or do I miss things here...?

Thanks

sretalla