Unifi Plugin Upgrade Question

hescominsoon

Patron
How do i upgrade the 5.12.x unifi inside of freenas 11.3 to 5.13.x?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you are using the plugin you wait for it to be updated
Everything else involves leaving the "easy" path and mandates using ssh and the command line.

hescominsoon

Patron
well the plugin is significantly behind. I have no problems going into the command line. Just trying to find out how to use the arguments on upgrading the files in that plugin

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
5.12 to 5.13 - I would not consider that significant. The FreeBSD paxkage of the Unifi controller has not been updated since mid May, so you cannot simply pkg upgrade. You would need to download the Linux package from Ubnt, unpack the .deb and then find the .jar or .war file in there and manually place it into the tomcat installation that probably still drives the Unifi controller.

I would at least wait for an update to the FreeBSD port and only when the plugin does not follow suit, ping the maintainer or use pkg upgrade as mentioned.

www.freshports.org helps you check for new versions of FreeBSD packages.

hescominsoon

Patron
i have downloaded the .deb.Unifi is up to 5.13 now and that's what i am running in my cloudkey. looks like I will be not running unifi inside the plugin/jail section. I';ll try a windows or Linux VM instead..:)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Linux VMs in FreeNAS work great for me. Goid luck! :)

ornias

Wizard
Some notes for others looking into manually updating jails because of slightly outdated pkgs:

Working on Jailman I debated the same:
Using pkgs for everything is simply less of a burden on my as maintainer to keep things working, thats also why IX uses as much pkgs as possible for their plugins. So when should I and when shouldn't I?

I've concluded the following:
- If a developer delivers FreeBSD compatible packages themselves and/or installation instructions I would prefer to use those
- Many developers don't and in those cases I would update manually if it a. has added value b. wasn't "too hard"

In case of vital or complex packages like: Mariadb, traefik, nginx etc. I opted to just use pkgs. But for things like sonarr, the manual install is just-as simple and way more up-to-date.

This also depends on the trust I have in a developer for example:
- Sonarr is known to be very consistent with their codebase, installation procedures didn't change much in the last years.
- Ubiquiti has the consistency of... well... BAD... Their accesspoints and such are fine, but I don't trust them to keep software consistent and/or even existing for more than 3 months at a time.

What I wanted to make clear:
Only you yourself can determine if you think you can keep up with manually updating software outside of PKGS or Ports....
It's okey to run it elsewhere if you think that makes it easier on you :)

xlameee

Explorer
5.12 to 5.13 - I would not consider that significant. The FreeBSD paxkage of the Unifi controller has not been updated since mid May, so you cannot simply pkg upgrade. You would need to download the Linux package from Ubnt, unpack the .deb and then find the .jar or .war file in there and manually place it into the tomcat installation that probably still drives the Unifi controller.

I would at least wait for an update to the FreeBSD port and only when the plugin does not follow suit, ping the maintainer or use pkg upgrade as mentioned.

www.freshports.org helps you check for new versions of FreeBSD packages.
well "pkg upgrade" does not work

pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@xlameee You are trying this inside the jail, right? Never do that on the TrueNAS host.
Check the network configuration of your jail. It does not have proper name resolution ("nameserver") settings.

xlameee

Explorer
@xlameee You are trying this inside the jail, right? Never do that on the TrueNAS host.
Check the network configuration of your jail. It does not have proper name resolution ("nameserver") settings.
Thank you I always forget about the DNS

Is this command going to upgrade my UNIFI Controller to the latest version?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Is this command going to upgrade my UNIFI Controller to the latest version?
It is going to update your Unifi controller to the latest version available in the FreeBSD package repository. If that is identical with the latest version from Unifi - depends. First and foremost on the port/package maintainer.

You can always check the current FreeBSD package of any software available here:

Entering "unifi" into the "Enter Keywords" box at the right results in:

So (now, Nov 15th 2031, 23:25 CET) 6.4.54 is what you will get. If there's a newer version from UBNT - sorry, not yet. The port maintainer is responsible for keeping the port up to date.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
In case of vital or complex packages like: Mariadb, traefik, nginx etc. I opted to just use pkgs.
For those vital packages for tens or hundreds of thousands of installations the FreeBSD ports are in fact updated really fast. Most of the times even faster than most Linux distributions manage to do. In our hosting environment we can generally offer e.g. new PHP versions faster than any Linux distribution.

Then again for things like NUT (Network UPS tools) there has not been an update in years.

YMMV :wink:
Patrick