Resource icon

Uncle Fester's TrueNAS Beginner's Guide

danb35

Hall of Famer
danb35 submitted a new resource:

Uncle Fester's FreeNAS Beginner's Guide - Guide for basic installation and configuration of FreeNAS

User @UncleFester, some time ago, wrote a thorough beginner's guide for setup of FreeNAS 9.10. It seemed to me like something that belonged on a more permanent, and user-editable, location, so with his permission I wiki-fied the guide and have been hosting it on my server. The guide is at:

https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:intro

Since FreeNAS 11.2 introduced a new default web GUI, I've been working on updating the guide to reflect the...

Read more about this resource...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've been working on the 11.2 version of the guide more this morning, and I think I have it pretty well complete--let me know if you spot anything missing (or you can register for an account and update yourself).

balunasj

Cadet
Quick question - is there an easy way to print this guide? I tend to like to print out things like this (I know, old school). I could not see anything obvious, but apologizes if I just missed something :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Good question. @UncleFester originally prepared this as a Word document, and I wiki-fied it--I think that adds a lot of capability, but makes it a lot harder to print. I'll see if I can find a way to integrate printing--exporting PDFs of each page should be pretty easy, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to enable downloading a PDF of the whole thing at once.

Edit: Working on it. You can export individual pages to PDF by using the button on the right, but the link at the main page isn't working right now.

Last edited:

balunasj

Cadet
Thanks for the update and I saw that option as well. Hopefully there is some aggregating capability. The guide looks great, and thanks again for looking!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm just getting a blank page when I click the link; I expect I'm exhausting a memory limit or some such thing. Once I can figure out where the relevant logs are I should be able to get it working.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Hmmm, need to work further on this. The download link now works, and downloads all the pages, but not in the desired order. I have an idea of what to do for that, but will still take more tinkering. As of now, the 11.2 version is a 267-page, 41.7 MB download.

danb35

Hall of Famer
danb35 updated Uncle Fester's TrueNAS Beginner's Guide with a new update entry:

Update for TrueNAS CORE

I hadn't done much with this guide for quite a while, as changes to the UI have been minimal since FreeNAS 11.2. But it's now updated to reflect TrueNAS CORE 13. Let me know if I missed any screen shots of the old UI or other out-of-date information. The new URL for the guide is:

Hat tip to @victort for (1) writing a bunch of scripts for jails, and (2) listing them conveniently in his sig for me to put...

Read the rest of this update entry...