Unbuntu 20.04 in VM UEFI boot manager

Dravinian

Dabbler
Hi All,

My first post!

I have Ubuntu 20.04 Live Server in a VM, but if not attended it goes to the install process, even though it is installed.. I can send it to the Boot Manager and run it if I actively VNC in quick enough (never on the first one) but it would be great if it just started when the VM started.

I looked at this thread: https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/howto-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/

But it is 3 years old, I am on 11.3, and I have a BOOTX64.efi file in the /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT directory.

I have a BOOTX64.csv, grub.cfg, grubx64.efi mmx64.efi shimx64.efi all within /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu directory.

So from the guide, I can't see what I am missing?

When in the boot manager, sometimes it will give a 4th option which will read ubuntu, but often it will give 3 options, one of which is boot from efi drive which boots the VM - if that information assists.

Thanks!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Sounds like you still have a CD device attached with the install ISO still inserted. Try removing the CD device from the VM device list.

Dravinian

Dabbler
It doesn't have a CD device.

I installed it from an ISO. I didn't even create a CD device as 11.3 does it automatically for you. I looked and I couldn't see anyway of unmaking it?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Shutdown the VM, and then click on Devices after expanding the < at the right of the VM. Click the 3 dots next to the device corresponding to the ISO, and select Delete.