Unable to install plugins after update 11.2 -> 11.3

frankvh

Dabbler
Last week, while running 11.2, I installed a plugin (Emby - from the web UI). No problem.

Then a couple of days ago I upgraded to 11.3u1. After which I updated Emby (from the web UI) - again no problem. But...

Now I'm unable to install any new plugins. I've tried a few. Whenever I try I get the error message:

Error: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='download.freebsd.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /ftp/releases/amd64 (Caused by SSLError(SSLError("bad handshake: Error([('SSL routines', 'ssl3_get_server_certificate', 'certificate verify failed')])")))

I have:
  • Confirmed I have some nameservers (8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1) in Network - Global Configuration
  • Confirmed I can ping download.freebsd.org from the shell
  • Done a bunch of searching, on this site and google
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Try using DHCP to set the IP. I can't get new plugins to work with statically assigned IPs. Other, IIRC, have issues with NAT not working.

frankvh

Dabbler
Thanks. I've tried it both ways. Initially it was purely DHCP. And that worked for for the initial Emby plugin install. But when I ran into this recent problem some postings reported that explicitly specifying the nameservers seemed to help, so I tried that too. But no difference.

Yorick

Wizard
We just solved a similar issue in another thread. What’s between FreeNAS and the Internet, and does it do SSL inspection? If so, try disabling SSL inspection. Snort appears to default to it, as can Fortigates.

frankvh

Dabbler
Yes, I saw that thread. In my case there's no SSL inspection in the network. There's a very small amount of URL blocking, to known-bad sites, and that's it. I could try turning even that off, but I'm not sure why it would have any effect, given I can already ping the freebsd sites without problem.

Having said that, for no apparent reason, today it suddenly worked! There was another thread where this also happened, reason unknown. Very strange. Well, I'm not going to argue with success! :) My thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions.