unable to install plex plex-pass (freenas 11.2)

damdude

Dabbler
I am seeing issues when trying to install plex plugin -- plexpass on freenas 11.2

I am seeing this error :

[EFAULT] Exception: URLError:< urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known > occured, destroyed plex.

SYSTEM INFO : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz (12 cores)

FREENAS VERSION : FreeNAS-11.2-U2.1

any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Check that you have DNS set in Network -> Global Configuration.

damdude

Dabbler
Thank you for your reply. do you have steps or guide on how to set that up. Noob here trying to understand freeness as I use it.

nojohnny101

Wizard
All you seek can be found here:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/

In all seriousness, read the manual, it contains all you will need to know to get started and maintain your freenas server.
(your relevant section on networking settings for the freenas host can be found here)

damdude

Dabbler
well I am aware about the documentation part. but Ia m not a network expert so don't know lot of network related terms and their meaning

damdude

Dabbler
after updating the hostname: some name , domain = my router's IP and name server 1 as freenas system ip. I am running into below error when I try to install the same plex server ( plex pass)

[EFAULT] Exception: CallError:[EFAULT] pkg error: - multimedia/ffmpeg :b'pkg: http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/iocage/11.2-RELEASE/All/libva-2.4.0.txz: Connection reset by peer\n' Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! occured, destroyed plex.

fakebenwhite

Cadet
I ran into this error today after the install working fine yesterday... After spending the better half of the day, I finally disabled my Pi-Hole while I performed the plugin install, it it finally worked.

So, this is definitely an issue with certain domains being blocked, or rather unreachable by the FreeNAS server. Hope this helps someone.

damdude

Dabbler
I ran into this error today after the install working fine yesterday... After spending the better half of the day, I finally disabled my Pi-Hole while I performed the plugin install, it it finally worked.

So, this is definitely an issue with certain domains being blocked, or rather unreachable by the FreeNAS server. Hope this helps someone.

Pi-Hole ?? what is that ?

fakebenwhite

Cadet
It’s basically a “whole home” ad-blocker that is so lightweight that it can run on a Raspberry Pi. I just learned about it a month or so ago, but it’s an internal DNS server (or cache) that is community supported. You attach it to your network and tell your devices to look to it for DNS. It has black lists baked-in that prevent the loading of ads as you surf the web... It’s pretty awesome, enough so that I decided to donate... You can even run it in a Virtual Machine on your FreeNAS server, which I did the other day, so now I have redundant DNS servers...

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
I had to install with fixed IP, it worked.
After that stop service, edit, check in dhcp, start.

Last edited:

fakebenwhite

Cadet
Can. you share the steps for that ? like what did you put for interface and net mask ?
Interface should be the NIC you currently have active with FreeNAS, and for most home networks the net mask is likely 255.255.255.0 (or /24).

fakebenwhite

Cadet
When you have the static IP in place, can you ping other network devices - internal and external - from the console window? You need to verify you have a working internet connection because the error appears to be show a connection issue.

thisisnotsound

Dabbler
I made it work with a random IP address, does not matter, since you will be using it later with the IP assigned by the router later

fakebenwhite

Cadet
I'm fairly new to this as well, so don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, but I had a working Plex server up and running, but blew it away and started from scratch twice and kept running into this error. It wasn't until I disabled some DNS blocking on my network that it actually went through and installed, so it was a definite network issue...

I can click on the 'link' above that was auto-created for the txz file and it downloads, do you get the same? Just wondering if the DNS on your network can get to that source.

damdude

Dabbler
so I can get to that link from my different computer and download that txz file for sure. I don't have a DNS blocking on my network. but I do have my server connected to a router (LAN) which is sitting behind the service provider's gateway.

damdude

Dabbler
does anyone know how to manually upload the plugin, may be I can down load the plugin and try uploading it directly to server. any knows steps for that ?

bbenz3

Explorer
after updating the hostname: some name , domain = my router's IP and name server 1 as freenas system IP. I am running into below error when I try to install the same plex server ( plex pass)

[EFAULT] Exception: CallError:[EFAULT] pkg error: - multimedia/ffmpeg :b'pkg: http://pkg.cdn.trueos.org/iocage/11.2-RELEASE/All/libva-2.4.0.txz: Connection reset by peer\n' Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! occured, destroyed plex.
I think your issue is that the name server IP needs to be set to either your routers IP or to something like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 which are the DNS servers for Google.