Unable to install in EFI mode

rssfed23

Cadet
Hi all. Got quite excited when reading the posts about TrueNAS SCALE, as always preferred Linux. Tried spinning it up on a testing box to give it a try and installing onto one of the flash drives, it seems there's some kind of issue registering/setting up the EFI boot setup (see screenshot).

Has anyone else experienced similar or got any ideas? TrueNAS CORE beta 2 installs fine on the same box in EFI mode (for reference).

Hard to say which nightly version is used as the ISO file doesn't have any version string in it, but it was downloaded freshly this morning.

Switching to legacy boot doesn't seem to help (when trying to boot from the ISO there's a blank screen that never seems to enter the install process).

Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 10.28.04.png

rssfed23

Cadet
I seem to have been able to fix the legacy boot blank screen issue preventing it working in BIOS mode (platform specific issue), so got a good workaround for now, and frankly wowed to finally have FreeNAS on Linux. Simple tasks that were hard or impossible on TrueNAS Core are effortless now (one example: installing Netdata took seconds and was flawless). Can't wait to see how it develops further!

groveraus

Cadet
Very frustrating, I had the same issue. I was never able to get it to work yet I time traveled back to the old days when installs were done via CD-ROM/DVD and temporarily added a drive and the install worked fine in both modes and has booted correctly ever since.