Unable to delete from SMB Share through Mac Catalina

mvbashyam

Dabbler
I have a share mounted as SMB and I am able to read and write to the drive from my Mac however whenever I try to delete any file I get a authentication pop up dialog and it accepts only my Mac login id and password after which it returns permission denied. Share itself is mounted using a user I have in freenas. The pool is owned by root and group is wheel. I have the user I am using added to the wheel group. Permissions for the directory and files are all opened except for write access for others. I am not sure what is the issue. I have Plex configured to delete files and I am able to delete files through Plex UI but just not through Finder in Mac. What could be the issue?

VFS objects selected for my share is catia, fruit, ixnas and streams_xattr

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have a share mounted as SMB and I am able to read and write to the drive from my Mac however whenever I try to delete any file I get a authentication pop up dialog and it accepts only my Mac login id and password after which it returns permission denied. Share itself is mounted using a user I have in freenas. The pool is owned by root and group is wheel. I have the user I am using added to the wheel group. Permissions for the directory and files are all opened except for write access for others. I am not sure what is the issue. I have Plex configured to delete files and I am able to delete files through Plex UI but just not through Finder in Mac. What could be the issue?

VFS objects selected for my share is catia, fruit, ixnas and streams_xattr
The path either has "unix" permissions type or you've run chmod() on it. A mode of 770 does not immediately convey permissions to delete a file when NFSv4 ACLs are interpreted strictly. In 11.3 I've added logic to allow this in most cases where it is apparent that the user doesn't want to use ACLs.

mvbashyam

Dabbler
Actually both. I think once it was Windows share and I changed it to Unix share. Since delete was not working I was tinkering around with it and might have run chmod partially. Is there a way to fix this so that I can delete from my Mac?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Actually both. I think once it was Windows share and I changed it to Unix share. Since delete was not working I was tinkering around with it and might have run chmod partially. Is there a way to fix this so that I can delete from my Mac?

If your user is a member of "wheel", and your share path is "/mnt/tank/SHARE", you can run the following commands:
Code:
setfacl -m g:wheel:full_set:fd:allow /mnt/tank/SHARE
winacl -a clone -rv -p /mnt/tank/SHARE

In FreeNAS 11.3 this can be achieved through the ACL editor.

mvbashyam

Dabbler
Awesome. Thanks @anodos it worked. So is the issue that I changed from windows acl to unix and that messed up the permissions? I now have it as Unix so would it work with both Mac and Windows or I have to do anything else to clean this mess I created?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Awesome. Thanks @anodos it worked. So is the issue that I changed from windows acl to unix and that messed up the permissions? I now have it as Unix so would it work with both Mac and Windows or I have to do anything else to clean this mess I created?
No further action should be required. The explicit entry for "wheel" will not be impacted by any further chmod() calls.