Unable to boot after upgrading to 11.2u1

I just had a semi break through.
using another usb I did a flash install and instead of doing UEFI I changed it to be BIOS.

I'm able to get it to boot and get into the web interface now.

Actually I just saw that its FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE not u1. I'll do a test upgrade and report back with what I find.

about to execute this...

1549584163825.png

Ok about 50 minutes in... it appears that the ui froze at base-os install percent of 62.5%. I hit refresh, logged in, and clicked on check for updates. and it appears that the update was successful?
1549587291611.png

There was not a reboot done by the system automatically... So not sure what's up with that.

Ok quick update. Did a reboot of the system using the drop down in upper right. it came back up appropriately. Although it appeared that it either did a reboot or performed a few maintenance tasks that took a while as well.

I was able to successfully import my configuration that I got a copy of just before my original attempt to update to 11.2u1.

I am just now reconnecting my 3 HDDs that I use for my storage pool and it seems to be recognizing all of my devices appropriately.

Took a bit for the system to get to the the console prompt. it was performing what looked like on boarding tasks for the config.

Only thing that is currently not working correctly is Plex, but I believe I had issues with that before all this started... TimeMachine backups started working right off the bat.

I'll update if I find anything odd or busted for sure.

tsnives

Dabbler
So, I got my BIOS updated to the latest (released Oct 2018, compiled June 2018 iirc) and 11.2 would not boot. I decided to reset again on the new BIOS and take it from the ground up. With all hardware stripped down again, boot mode set to enable legacy OS support, PXE disabled, and the install as booting via BIOS it booted and survived a few reboots. Adding back in the hardware brought it do another dead boot. Taking hardware back out and adding it one piece at a time nailed it down to my Intel Pro/1000 PT Pro Dual NIC being the culprit. With it removed, I re-installed as UEFI and it would not boot. The end result is that the BSDLoader freezes when it sees that NIC and that BSDLoader is not compatible with the UEFI implementation on the TS140. I'm going to pin mod (killing pins B5 and B6) my Intel Pro to test if making it shut up during boot helps.

bluonek

Dabbler
Wait, FreeNAS is no longer compatible with ThinkServers (e.g. TS140) and the beloved intel NICs? Am I in the twilight zone right now? And yes - I'm dealing with the same issue on a TS140 w/ Intel NIC.

Did not have this issue with versions 8, 9, or 11.1 - this issue is NEW with 11.2 u2.1.

When I re-install with 11.1 this issue goes away. Any ideas if this has been hammered down as an actual issue with the 11.2 bootloader and/or USB stick image?

Attachments

• FreeNAS Boot Fail.JPG
    FreeNAS Boot Fail.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 285

bluonek

Dabbler
Nope, no twilight zone - just some apparent bugs. =)

UPDATE:
BIOS works! Reboots and all.

Unfortunately there's some bizarre behavior with the primary network interface after unlocking my ZFS drives (and only after, lol) - but we'll save that for another 11.2 u2.1 issue post.

bluonek

Dabbler
Anyone with this issue try 11.2 U3 yet?

nine9

Cadet
Ran into similar problem,

Three old systems all working fine on 11.1.x. (HP micro server 1st gen booting from dual san disk micro USB3, Core 2 Quad booting from dual verbatim USB3 and i3 2120 booting from dual san disk USB3)

Then upgraded to 11.2. U2. All three failed to boot

So Ran a fresh install of 11.2. U2 (Funny thing I used a USB3 verbatim to DD the installer, and the installer had no problem booting and running). Tried Bios changes, tried UEFI tried about everything. ha ha nothing worked.

However the way I got 11.2 U2 working was to install on USB2 sticks. (and of course make sure they are plugged into USB2 ports.

As for the USB3 sticks they boot fine if 11.1 U7 is installed (at least on the HP micro server. - did not downgrade the other 2 systems)

Have not tried the 11.2 U3 yet, hope it resolves this issue as don't really want to rush around buying USB2 sticks.

just incase this thread gets viewed again in the future. I am currently running on FreeNAS-11.2-U5 (Build Date: Jun 24, 2019 18:41) with my same usb that I mentioned above. I have gone through the update steps through the webgui and its been working well for me.

jonmayer

Cadet
This has been driving me crazy for a week. I wish there was an option to choose the boot loaders while they work out a solution.