UFS no longer supported in Freenas 8.01 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicko

Dabbler
Can anyone with contact with the development team confirm that Freenas 8.01 (which is due to be fully released in 5 days) is going to be a ZFS only system ?

Have just installed 8r7107 and all the UFS access/permissions issues that have been coming and going since the early 8.01 beta's are still there. Have had to add 'max protocol=LANMAN2' back into cifs just to get access to the shares (I was able to take that out after the previous upgrade), once logged on I don't have modify access any more to existing files (which seemed to have been fixed on the last update that I installed), setting recursive permissions still fail with 'some error ocurred', UFS related tickets just seem to get ignored, etc etc.

Forgive me for seeming negative but it seems that 8.01 is going to be released with these issues still present, which effectively positions it as ZFS only (which I assume is fully working ?). If that's the case then it would be nice if somebody could confirm it so that us UFS/WIN7 users can decide what to do.

WHS is so cheap now at £37 that I've even considered moving away from Freenas, which is something I never thought I'd do.

Sorry for venting my frustrations but I really want Freenas 8+ to work, and at the moment it simply doesn't, and I don't have the knowledge to tinker under the hood and get it working myself. I appreciate its a 'work in progress' and I accept the issues that go along with that but the progress so far doesn't seem to include UFS based setups.

ProtoSD

MVP
Where did you get your information Nicko? It was just announced yesterday that beta5 should be available today or very soon, which will be followed by a few RC's before the final release of 8.01, which won't happen in 5 days!

It also seems VERY unlikely that support for UFS will be removed. Please share the source of the rumors.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Where did you see that it would be fully released in 5 days? They have not even had any RCs yet. Last I heard they were going to be releasing another beta. I don't know about your UFS issues as I use ZFS, hopefully they get fixed.

EDIT: you beat me to the question protosd

nicko

Dabbler
Hi Protosd/marcusmarcus,

https://support.freenas.org/roadmap

(sorry, it says 4 days now, not 5 )

@protosd - I wasn't suggesting that there is a rumour that support for UFS was going to be dropped - what I was trying to say was that if the roadmap is correct then there is very little chance of the UFS issues getting fixed in time. If the release is going to go ahead with the UFS issues still present then those of us that are suffering from these issues are going to get left out in the cold. The only interpretation that I can put on that course of action is that all efforts are being put into ZFS and UFS is being sacrificed. If that's the case then we can always alter our setups over to ZFS as an option, but it would just be nice to get a little bit of feedback to confirm that that was the recommended course to take, or alternatively a sign that the (now longstanding) UFS issues are being worked on.

I'm not meaning to bash forum members or get anyone aggravated - I've been involved in the forums now long enough to know how much effort you all put in to helping out, but that doesn't remove the frustration of still not being able to access shares properly despite repeated tickets, messages etc being raised on the problems with no real result. Believe it or not I'm still a Freenas fan, just a frustrated one !! :smile:

J

jpaetzel

What ticket number are you referring to?

While it is true that the primary focus of FreeNAS 8.x is ZFS we do still strive to ensure there is functionality in UFS as well.

Please point me at a ticket so I can get some developer effort focused on it.

As far as the roadmap, it's likely 8.0.1-RELEASE won't happen until the end of August. I was working on a beta5 yesterday and encountered a show stopper bug.

If you watch the commit logs we are doing a lot of work on FreeNAS, and sometimes the meta data doesn't get updated, but doing that takes time away from coding, at the end of the day we would rather be guilty of doing too much work on FreeNAS and not updating things like wikis and forums than spending too much time updating meta-data and not getting any coding done!

nicko

Dabbler
Hi Josh,
thanks for the response and I am so very sorry to raise these issues in this way, but I couldn't see any other way that would get a response. I fully appreciate all the hard work that I know is going on back there to keep the schedule moving and know that trying to get the system to work with every hardware combination in existence is a nightmare that I'm glad I haven't got :smile:.

Closed Ticket #488 - recursive volume permissions change fails with 'some error ocurred' - problem still exists despite the ticket being closed
Closed Ticket #477 - file permissions issues have returned since upgrading to later nightly builds (unable to edit existing files/folders)
Open Ticket #583 - folder level shares need an edit carrying out every time the server restarts in order to become visible but root level shares are ok.

thanks
nick

Status
Not open for further replies.