Tutorial: How to keep an iocage plex install up to date (plexpass)

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Ahhh okay that makes sense. Sorry I didnt know the release date for the new version so I didnt think about that.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
>If you use the script provided in the first post in the thread, you can always get the latest update immediately... up to you.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Problem with scripts for me is you have to be able to read the script to understand what it is doing and that is not a strong point form me yet.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you have a pathological need to be on the absolute latest version of the Plex server, then this script can be useful. If you can be content with a version that's (gasp!) as much as a week out of date, the packages are much simpler.

pschatz100

Guru
Problem with scripts for me is you have to be able to read the script to understand what it is doing and that is not a strong point form me yet.
I agree 100%. Stick with the packages as @danb35 said.

Thousandbuckle

Contributor
Okay so it has been over a week and when I run pkg upgrade in my FreeNAS IoCage jail it does not see the new Plex update 1.18.0.1944 that is being shown in the Plex app. I thought someone said it should never take over a week to show up in the repository. Just checking to know if I am doing something wrong to get the update or if it is still not in the repository.

Also how can I check the repository to see what the current version exists today?

root@Plex:/ # pkg upgrade
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
[Plex] Fetching meta.txz: 100% 944 B 0.9kB/s 00:01
[Plex] Fetching packagesite.txz: 100% 6 MiB 6.7MB/s 00:01
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 32950 packages processed.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (1 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (1 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Okay so it has been over a week and when I run pkg upgrade in my FreeNAS IoCage jail it does not see the new Plex update 1.18.0.1944
That's because the default configuration of pkg is for the quarterly branch. If you want the latest you need to create a pkg override for the latest repository.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Is there a way to display / email via cron the version in my iocage and the version in the repo? I am ok running a manual update, just would like the system to tell me when it is worth while.

rmccullough

Patron
Is there a way to display / email via cron the version in my iocage and the version in the repo? I am ok running a manual update, just would like the system to tell me when it is worth while.

Is there a reason you wouldn't just schedule a cron job at 3am to update it? I use this:
Code:
iocage exec plex "pkg -o IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes update -f ; pkg upgrade -y ; service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart"

Yorick

Wizard
pkg is not apt, so even something as simple as pkg upgrade -y && service plexmediaserver restart directly in the jail's crontab will work. I run this once a week, Sunday during the night.

pschatz100

Guru
I do the same as @rmccullough and @Yorick , except that I run updates every three months or so. I do not feel the need to stay on the absolutely latest version of Plex.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
I set that plex update as a cron job to run 5th, 15th, 25th ... and here is the results from last night ...

Code:
Script run from Cron Job

[plex] Fetching meta.txz: . done
[plex] Fetching packagesite.txz: .......... done
Processing entries: .......... done
FreeBSD repository update completed. 30614 packages processed.
New version of pkg detected; it needs to be installed first.
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
	pkg: 1.14.7 -> 1.15.5

Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

3 MiB to be downloaded.
[plex] [1/1] Fetching pkg-1.15.5.txz: .......... done
[plex] [1/1] Upgrading pkg from 1.14.7 to 1.15.5...
[plex] [1/1] Extracting pkg-1.15.5: .......... done
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): . done
Processing candidates (0 candidates): . done
Your packages are up to date.
Stopping plexmediaserver_plexpass.
Waiting for PIDS: 71920, 71920.
Cleaning up leftover child processes.
Waiting for PIDS: 71987 71927, 71987.
Starting plexmediaserver_plexpass.

It is a thing of beauty! Thanks for your help.

Yorick

Wizard
Glad that's working. Keep in mind you are using the beta version with plexmediaserver_plexpass. The regular stable version is plexmediaserver. Both versions support all PlexPass features.

Ruff.Hi

Patron
Fair point ... is swapping easy? Or do I need to recreate the iocage?

pschatz100

Guru
Don't bother. The Plexpass version is fine. I have been a Plexpass subscriber for several years, never been a problem.