Truenas hangs after 1-3 days.

eleson

Dabbler
Hi,
I moved to truenas beta as my Freenas 11.3 hanged after a few hours of uptime.

(Not reachable over network and not responding on attached console.)

Truenas runs a few hours more before locking up, but ends up the same way.

I am running an AMD Ryzen processor/motherboard, ssd for boot, and old style disk for data,
and have one jail, for Emby, up and running.

It is time resolve this once and for all. I know (within 5 minutes) the time of death.

Where do I start looking and what data should I collect?

Last edited:

Alecmascot

Guru

eleson

Dabbler
Thanks for all info and threads!!
I m running it headless, so I need to get into a postions to be able to handle bios again.
I think I checked most of this when 11.3 was creating issues for me.
Yes, my intent is to gather enough information to either solve it of be able to create a bug report
that is distinct and useful for developers. Hence my query for what data to collect.
Next step is to move the NAS to where I can attach a screen and keyboard, and go from there.

Yorick

Wizard
Not towards @eleson, they've got their hardware and it is what it is. However, for anyone coming into this thread and pondering Ryzen: The above is a perfect example of "why IPMI". If you are pondering buying new, rather than re-using hardware you have "flying around", then for Ryzen, you want an ASRock Rack X470D4U or ASRock Rack X570D4U. These are comparable cost-wise with consumer boards, come with IPMI, and have Intel i210 NICs. IPMI means you can get to BIOS without monitor / keyboard, and don't need a GPU at all in the build. If you've never used it, it'll be a revelation when you do.

For Intel builds, that'd be SuperMicro usually, the -F boards have IPMI. ASRock Rack also have some Intel boards available, though they don't see as much use around here as SuperMicro. No idea on Asus' attempts to make server boards, I think consensus is they're far behind SuperMicro and ASRock Rack, and one may as well choose one of those two instead.

All of that is assuming "home build" (or small business) with uATX boards and i3/Xeon E/Ryzen, not Epyc / Xeon "full fat". Medium business would go to "real" server hardware (Cisco, HP, Dell), not something entry-level put together from parts, and enterprise would just buy a supported system from ix. Medium might as well.

ornias

Wizard
Also great are the Fujitsu boards... Full server grade, 24/7 high-temperature certified boards... Ideal for the less ventilated home-server environment.
Sadly enough no IPMI, because their boards are focused on low-idle power consumption... But still good server boards :)

Apollo

Wizard
Not towards @eleson, they've got their hardware and it is what it is. However, for anyone coming into this thread and pondering Ryzen: The above is a perfect example of "why IPMI". If you are pondering buying new, rather than re-using hardware you have "flying around", then for Ryzen, you want an ASRock Rack X470D4U or ASRock Rack X570D4U. These are comparable cost-wise with consumer boards, come with IPMI, and have Intel i210 NICs. IPMI means you can get to BIOS without monitor / keyboard, and don't need a GPU at all in the build. If you've never used it, it'll be a revelation when you do.

For Intel builds, that'd be SuperMicro usually, the -F boards have IPMI. ASRock Rack also have some Intel boards available, though they don't see as much use around here as SuperMicro. No idea on Asus' attempts to make server boards, I think consensus is they're far behind SuperMicro and ASRock Rack, and one may as well choose one of those two instead.

All of that is assuming "home build" (or small business) with uATX boards and i3/Xeon E/Ryzen, not Epyc / Xeon "full fat". Medium business would go to "real" server hardware (Cisco, HP, Dell), not something entry-level put together from parts, and enterprise would just buy a supported system from ix. Medium might as well.
Can't agree more.
IPMI is pretty much useless after system has been set and is running smoothly. Where it becomes a real lifesaver and becomes really handy is when problem arise such as loosing access to SSH or the Freenas Web interface, or when the system got stuck in the powerdown sequence but never shut down.

When doing maintenance remotely and things start to fail, IPMI is there for you.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
IPMI is pretty much useless after system has been set and is running smoothly.

Actually, it's also useful for watching the system during the reboot after a system upgrade, and to interrupt the FreeNAS bootloader if you get stuck in a boot loop, or have to revert to a previous boot environment.

Apollo

Wizard
Actually, it's also useful for watching the system during the reboot after a system upgrade, and to interrupt the FreeNAS bootloader if you get stuck in a boot loop, or have to revert to a previous boot environment.
Of course IPMI is good for that. Even installing the Freenas ISO without burning the file to a disk to perform a clean install.

eleson

Dabbler
I don't think I changed anything in the BIOS but nonetheless, it had been running for 13 days which is definitely a personal best for the last six months.
Now could see there was an upgrade available so I installed it. With the mandatory reboot. I will report progress as this continues.

Last edited: