TrueNAS Core 12.0 Nightly Snapshots Available

Yorick

Wizard
@anodos, can you take a look at NAS-105392 ? smbd cored on 0323 nightly, core is attached to that issue. I'm not clear whether to stay in this issue and wait for it to be re-opened, or to file a new one

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos, can you take a look at NAS-105392 ? smbd cored on 0323 nightly, core is attached to that issue. I'm not clear whether to stay in this issue and wait for it to be re-opened, or to file a new one
Can you PM me a debug here? IIRC 03/23 was somewhat broken due to some config changes necessitated by FSRVP support.

alex992

Explorer
It is working after update. Only folder "iocage" visible now, cannot delete it

Last edited:

murzik

Dabbler
Is there a file to download for manual update? Automatic update is not working. Update file download failure.

Yorick

Wizard
@murzik Nightlies should resume shortly.

Last edited:

Brezlord

Contributor
I have added a suggestion the following: It would be nice to have xe-guest-utilities be detected and installed when TrueNAS is run in XCP-ng hypervisor like it is on ESXi . If this can't be done at least have an option to install and enable xe-guest-utilities.

NAS-106424

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If this can't be done at least have an option to install and enable xe-guest-utilities
You can always get a copy of the pkg and use pkg add ... to install it.

You can even directly do it via URL... pkg add http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:12:x86:64/latest/All/insert-pkg-name-here.txz

Brezlord

Contributor
You can always get a copy of the pkg and use pkg add ... to install it.
Yes but, you should not have to do that every time you update. The package is in the FreeBSD repo so it should not be hard to do. Packages are disabled in TrueNAS core.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Packages are disabled in TrueNAS core.
The repository is disabled, but you can use the command I suggested (in an edit after my initial post) to get the pkg txz file directly from a url.

pkg add http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:12:x86:64/latest/All/insert-pkg-name-here.txz

The installed package should survive reboots and upgrades... you can confirm that pretty easily with nightlies.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I just gave it a try for fun and I see that it wants python37 (python 3.8 is the installed version, so I guess that's going to be part of the answer to why you can't have it built in (until the pkg can work with 3.8).

Brezlord

Contributor
I had to run the following:

Code:
pkg add https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/All/python37-3.7.7.txz
pkg add https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/All/xen-guest-tools-4.13.0_1.txz
pkg add https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:12:amd64/quarterly/All/xe-guest-utilities-6.2.0_2.txz

echo 'xenguest_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf.local
ln -s /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xenguest /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xenguest.sh
service xenguest start

The guest tools are now working. I'll update the VM tomorrow and see if it's persistent.

Thanks for your help.

Brezlord

Contributor
I ran an update and the packages are still installed but the vm tools did not start so I added the following in the GUI:
Capture.JPG

The XCP-ng tools now start with TrueNAS.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If it's a FreeBSD package, probably an rc.conf tuneable like
xenguest_enable with value YES will do the trick.

Brezlord

Contributor

Apollo

Wizard
I did spend nearly 30 minutes trying to figure out the status of the Nightly.
Currently running TrueNAS-12.0-MASTER-202006220424 on my backup server, I would have expected updates a few days apart, but it has been in the range of 1.5 month it gave me severe doubts.

The following link, which by the way isn't straight forward to find out for the ix.systems website, returned as a G**gle query.

I think the Nightly designation isn't compatible with the expected behavior or span of the update rate.
I think the terminology should be reworked to be more accurate to what the real release frequency is.

Maybe I am wrong, but certainly sarcastic, maybe this is one of those 6 month old antarctic night events.

Yorick

Wizard
Last edited:

Stilez

Guru
Oh nightlies are still going - on 12.1 now. If you really want that bleeding edge where SMB gets patches and may or may not work, it’s still available to you.

12.0 is motoring towards release, which means it’s on beta now. That link is here: http://download.freenas.org/12.0/STABLE/BETA/x64/

I’d wait a little longer for a beta 2 / rc though.
The 12.1 label really confuses me. I'm looking for nightlies for 12.0-REL not 12.1. Are these them? If so, why are they labeled with a 12.1 release ID not 12.0, when 12.1 will probably be a Thing after 12.0-Ux?

Yorick

Wizard
I'm looking for nightlies for 12.0-REL not 12.1

There are none. 12.0 is on beta2 and will receive rc1 next.

12.1 is on nightlies, that’s the release after 12.0.

Stilez

Guru
There are none. 12.0 is on beta2 and will receive rc1 next.

12.1 is on nightlies, that’s the release after 12.0.
Thats strange. So if a bug in beta2 is said to have been fixed, there's no ISO builds being done daily of the 12.0-REL line, (ie after 12.0-BETA2 and working towards 12.0-RC1) which I could download and install temporarily here, to test if it now works for me?

Yorick

Wizard
That’s my understanding, yes. Bug fixes come with the next release point. I’m obviously just reading the tea leaves here. From what I can see on the public download server, nightlies are on the “bleeding edge”, currently 12.1, and everything else is receiving public releases. Ux or with 12.0, RC1 next, then release in October.