Truecommand on FreeNAS

hescominsoon

Patron
I ahve been trying to figure out how to run the vm images of truecommand under the vm section of freenas...and i have not been able to figure it out. Pointers?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
According to the release announcement, the TrueCommand VM images only come as VMDK or VHDX format. FreeNAS VMs can't boot either. You'll need a utility to convert either format to RAW format, which is the only format that a bhyve VM can boot. Inside a jail, you can install qemu-utils-4.1.1_4, which includes the qemu-img utility which can perform the conversion. This will give you a RAW file which can then be used to dd into a zvol which can then be attached to a FreeNAS VM.

hescominsoon

Patron
ah but they have also released vdi AND raw images too. So how do i use the RAW image which i have downloaded?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Like I said, create a zvol of the same size, and dd if=<path to RAW image> of=/dev/zvol/<path to zvol> status=progress to transfer the contents of the RAW file to the zvol. You can then add the zvol to the VM as a disk.

hescominsoon

Patron
yeah i'll not use it on FreeNAS...:)

hescominsoon

Patron
Hey @hescominsoon ! We recommend that you run TrueCommand on a separate host machine. Please let us know if you have any further questions.
That's too bad...as FreeNAS is my virtualization host. I have zero intention of firing up an entire server just to try true command....

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's dead easy to run it in Ubuntu plus Docker. @Basil Hendroff outlined the entire process here:

Ubuntu plus Docker in a VM on FreeNAS, of course.

hescominsoon

Patron
i got the container working..i think. But the docker networking is on 172 instead of hte internal ip address i need it to be on. Trying to figure that one out..:)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Docker works like this, you need to map the ports. Read @Basil Hendroff article ...

hescominsoon

Patron
i did everything there..i am unable to connect from my computer to the docker container....instead of screwing around with mapping ports there has to be a way to change where the container is connected..if not..i'll not use a docker container.

hescominsoon

Patron
ok i see it now. it works..but i'll still figure out a direct..non mapped way to work it..or run it another way..:)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot work Docker differently AFAIK. That's how it's supposed to run. What's your problem with that extra private container network?

hescominsoon

Patron
You cannot work Docker differently AFAIK. That's how it's supposed to run. What's your problem with that extra private container network?
First of all..i am not a fan of docker anyway...re: networking: it's not how i wish to operate..... I do not like how docker networks...If there's a way around it..I'll find it..or run TC in a different way...

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I am equally reserved with respect to Docker in general, but if a single docker-compose.yml gets me to run an application in an instant, what am I losing? I run two VMs for two Docker based applications, currently. TrueCommand and OnlyOffice DocumentServer. Both are more or less closed source and if the Docker approach gets it running and automatically updated in like 15 minutes ... I won't argue.

@work I run a bunch of applications on Ubuntu although I prefer FreeBSD. If it's proprietary stuff the company needs and the vendor says "Linux or Windows", I am too old to go all in and try to retrofit that software into a jail with Linux userland. Why? Fire up a VM - in bhyve, on FreeNAS - run Ubuntu, done. Whatever does the job.

As long as nobody forces me to use Windows ...