Trouble setting up link agregation in 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

pda

Cadet
This on a box with one NIC built in and another added on. Both bge0 and vr0 appear to work fine individually in freenas 8.3... link agregation also appears to initially to succeed, but I'm unable to either enable dhcp or set a static address for lagg0.

Looks like that causes a kernel crash, can someone tell me wether there's anything useful I can do at the db> prompt? Or are any of the gory details above useful to anyone?

asw2012

Contributor
im getting probably the same kernel crash, it ends up at the db> also. I am trying to create a failover with 2 nics, I try to enable dhcp OR set a static, and boom...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Are either of you using Intel NICs? I believe bgeX are Broadcom chipsets and alot of people have had very bad things going on when trying to use them(if they work at all).

asw2012

Contributor
im using the Intel EXPI9402PTBLK

pda

Cadet
I'm not sure what the chip is, it's on the mainboard, but I can look it up.

I've never had any other trouble with anything the machine was used for before... in fact, I since put PC-BSD on it, and lagg looks fine on that with the same two NICs.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok.. FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD 8.3. So some drivers may not be available. PC-BSD is similar to, but not exactly identical to FreeBSD. There may be issues with one but not the other. I've never used PC-BSD so I can't really vouch for how good or bad it is with network cards.

If you are trying to setup link aggregation because you think you will get a performance boost and you have less than 10 users you shouldn't expect any performance increase... especially in a home environment.

pda

Cadet
Thanks for the advice... I'm somewhat aware of the lineage of the various BSDs, I only happened to try PC-BSD since I have a copy handy.

Yes, I'd initially thought of using link aggregation for performance, but regardless of that it'd be nice to have the failover option too. I have an extra NIC, so why not use it for redundancy?

greenpower

Cadet
Hello,

having the same trouble setting up LACP in FreeNAS 8.3. I get the: "fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode".
I have an Intel Mini-ITX Motherboard DQ77KB.... with two 1Gbit NICs.

Does anyone knows if this is going to be fixed soon or if this is already in bug tracking?

any help would be wonderful :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some nics arent compatible with lacp....

greenpower

Cadet
but mine is compatible i watched it up in the intel documentation :/ that's why i am asking here...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post more specs on the system?

I don't think anyone is tracking it because nobody really knows of any problem and without actual hardware and a good way to reproduce the issue it can be difficult to fix. You can search for a ticket at support.freenas.com.

Edit: I will say that 99% of the time people that have broken LACP either use incompatible hardware or improperly setup FreeNAS and LACP.

I say 99% because 1 person did have a brand new Intel 10Gb NIC that had just hit the market and needed a tunable to make the Intel NIC work properly. After that tunable it worked perfectly. Virtually everyone else that comes to the forums falls into the incompatible hardware and/or improper setup.

asw2012

Contributor
Anyone got a screenshot of the panic?

im getting probably the same kernel crash, it ends up at the db> also. I am trying to create a failover with 2 nics, I try to enable dhcp OR set a static, and boom...

Im out of my house until next Saturday. I'll get a screen after I set the failover on the Intel EXPI9402PTBLK. Hope the screenshot helps nail this down. Part of the reason I got a dual nic in the first place, failover :)

no1ninja

Dabbler
I got the same problem. crash and stuck at the db screen. It happens the minute you click OK when choising DHCP for your lagg0 connection. Everytime like clockwork, right after dhcp.

NICS in my system.

Intel PRO PT 1000 dual server NIC, and Realtek on board NIC

As for the Intel PRO not doing LACP properly, its working just fine in windows 7 for me.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

I just wanted to add that I think I'm seeing the same thing here.

I had 40+ days of uptime on 8.3.0 but have been having crashes & hard lockups since I started running the 8.3.1 betas up through the release. I get the hard locks\crashes to the db> prompt adding, removing or editing the network config and in general use. Most of the crashes point to the "em0 que" when I'm running the quad port nic in my sig, but I have seen the same behavior with a dual port Broadcom "bce" NIC as well.

-Will

Update: it was requested earlier in the thread that some screenshots of these crashes be provided.

Removing an interface
trap_12.jpg

LACP trap
trap_lacp.jpg

Something related to IPv6, which I use on this filer
trap_nd6.png

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi guys,

Just loaded up 8.3.0-p1 after running nas4free without incident since monday.

First thing I wanted to do was to bring the lagg up, system wasn't up for more than 30 seconds before I got this:

Trap message:
trap_arprequest.png

backtrace of trap:
trap_arprequest_bt.png

I hate to say it, but it looks like I'll be running Nas4Free till FreeNAS makes the move to FBSD 9.1.

-Will

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Funny, people never report a bug, but still expect bugs to be fixed.

You don't have this issue in Nas4Free because they don't use VIMAGE.

Anyway, would you like to try a 8.3.1-p1 candidate for this issue? Send me a private and I'll provide the link.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was actually going to make a ticket for this if I couldn't find one. Do you want me to open a ticket William or do you have this under control?

Status
Not open for further replies.