Transmission Read Issues

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@Kenfolk Sorry wrong info in my previous post. Check the "Tools -> Application options -> Paths"

Anyway try these:
- Remove the torrent from Transmission GUI (only torrent, not data ofc)
- inside jail delete .torrent and .resume file
rm /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/torrents/Mad.Men.S03.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-EPSiLON.6e5f9f176a7ace35.torrent rm /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/resume/Mad.Men.S03.1080p.BluRay.REMUX.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-EPSiLON.6e5f9f176a7ace35.resume

- Transmission GUI fix the path mapping under "Tools -> Application options -> Paths". You've said that you have mounded network drives so the syntax will be like this: /<path_inside_jail>=<mounded_drive>:\path\
So if you have \\<IP>\<smb_share>\TV Shows mounted as network Drive "X" it the path mapping will be: /TV Shows=X:\.

Note: If your SMB share is not for /mnt/Life/TV Shows but for whole /mnt/Life then the path in mapping will be /TV Shows=X:\TV Shows\ ... it depends what is the SMB share and on what path the drive is mounted.

Verify the permission just to be sure. Go to jail shell and:
su - transmission touch "/TV Shows/HD TV shows/Mad Men3/test1" echo "test" > "/TV Shows/HD TV shows/Mad Men3/test1" cat "/TV Shows/HD TV shows/Mad Men3/test1" rm "/TV Shows/HD TV shows/Mad Men3/test1" exit
If some of these fails it is permission issue.

After the above is done restart the transmisson service and try to add the torrent again. Ensure that you will use the absolute path within the jail and NOT the full back from host NAS. In your case it should be /TV Shows/HD TV shows/Mad Men3/ or maybe without the "Mad Men3". Depends if the torrent contains only the files or this subdir as well.

Hope it will work now :]

Kenfolk

Explorer
Yea, I figured it was Tools - Application options - Paths. With it as: /mnt/Life/TV Shows=T:\ I'm able to load in the torrent and then view destination. Whenever I try the /tv shows=T:\ or even /TV Shows=T:\Tv Shows\ that doesn't work anymore, like transmission can't see the directory like it can when I have it as the /mnt/Life/TV Shows=T:\ (Hopefully that kinda makes sense)

When I try the su - transmission command, I get the this account is currently not available. All the other commands tell me that the location is a directory. I'm not sure if that helps at all

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@Kenfolk Hi, well so what is your network mount. Is it T:\ for whole /mnt/Life or is it T:\ for /mnt/Life/TV Shows? Also be aware that FreeBSD is case-sensitive (!!) so make sure you have the paths absolutely right.

For the su - transmission ... seems like the user does not have logon possible. Can you give output of "grep transmission /etc/passwd" from within jail.

And second comment. The <spaces> are always tricky on *NIX systems. It might be some bug in Transmission itself. If it is still not working for you you might give it a shot and change the mount (and the directory as well as the config files) to use /TV_Shows instead.

One more thing ... We can do some remote session if you want me to check more. It is hard to pinpoint the source of your issue via forum. Or we can discuss on IRC channel. If you're interested send me PM.

Kenfolk

Explorer
T:\ is just for the /mnt/life/tv shows, I have a different drive letter for my different folders

root@Transmission:~ # grep transmission /etc/passwd
transmission:*:921:921:Transmission Daemon User:/usr/local/etc/transmission/home:/usr/sbin/nologin

At this point, since it isn't working anyways, I'm willing to delete the jail and start over if that helps at all

Kenfolk

Explorer
Alright, so I did a little testing today and maybe stumbled upon something that might help.

My source is /mnt/Life/TV Shows
Destination is /mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root/TV Shows

When I go into /mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root I do see the TV Shows folder and it does seem to be a link to the TV Shows folder outside the jail, as I can see all my TV shows there

I decided to download a file, just to see where it ended up. When I downloaded a file it went into /iocage/jails/transmission/root/mnt/Life/TV Shows
It is almost like it put my source folder into the jail instead of viewing it as outside the jail

*edit*

I just ran another test, I decided to try and download something and browsed to another directory of /mnt/Life/Miscellaneous and it downloaded it in /iocage/jails/transmission/root/mnt/Life/Miscellaneous
Basically it seems that instead of viewing things outside the jail it is just creating folders and viewing things inside the jail

Last edited:

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@Kenfolk huh, weird ... Ok lets try these (dump output here please)

source NAS:
cd "/mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root/TV Shows" df -g .

from jail:
cd / df -g . cd "/TV Shows" df -g .

Then STOP Transmission jail and:
cd /mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root/ ls -la | grep Shows
// The "TV Shows" should be now just empty dir (as the jail is stopped it is not mounted). It should have ownership as root:wheel with 755 permission

Also I would try to removing the <space> from the directory name. It just rules out possible problems with that. Here i am speaking about the DIR name for transmission mounts, not the Dataset.
cd /mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root/ mv "TV Shows" TV_Shows

// Now change the mount-point in Jail config:
Source: /mnt/Life/TV Shows
Destination: /mnt/Life/iocage/jails/Transmission/root/TV_Shows

- Start the Jail.
- Also i would fix the Download dir to go somewhere else than the local jail path. So for test purposes just create a directory inside the TV_Shows and set path in transmission demon config
mkdir /TV_Shows/Downloads chown transmission:transmission /TV_Shows/Downloads service transmission stop vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission
// Edit the : ${transmission_download_dir=SOMETHING} to : ${transmission_download_dir=/TV_Shows/Downloads}
service transmission start

Update the mapping paths in TransGUI
/TV_Shows=T:\ /TV_Shows/Downloads=T:\Downloads

Now try to add new torrent/download. The existing ones will have the path broken so either remove and re-add them or "Set data location" without the actual data move.

Kenfolk

Explorer
Holy mother of all that is great and right with this world. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!! You are a godsend

I have a sneaking suspicion that it had to do a lot with my mapping paths. In freenas 9 I was able to just use /mnt/life/TV Shows=T:/ and that would work. It seems now I have to have that along with the /TV_Shows=T:\
I did the same thing with my other folders and drive letters and everything now works. My torrents also now all download into the /TV_Shows/Downloads folder, so I can probably follow the instructions if I want to add download folders to my different drives.

I cannot thank you enough for helping me work through this, this has been bothering me for well over a month since I upgraded.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@Kenfolk Glad I could help :]

Two small comments:
It seems now I have to have that along with the /TV_Shows=T:\
I don't think you need both. The /TV_Shows=T:\ should be sufficient. It translates to "When you want to open /TV_Shows via the TransGUI it will open T:\ instead"

My torrents also now all download into the /TV_Shows/Downloads folder, so I can probably follow the instructions if I want to add download folders to my different drives.
Correct, you can add multiple paths if you have multiple data sources. Just ensure you're accessing them from within jail via mount-points + have a proper path mapping.

Anyway be careful with the "Download" directory. It is OK to have it anywhere you want but don't forget to change the path in
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission" + restart the transmission service.

Oh and third one ... You're not currently using the incomplete-dir (which is fine as it is optional) but if you ever do so be aware the current path you have is invalid ("incomplete-dir": "//Downloads",) . Also do not create a separate dataset for that as it would lead to unnecessary copy upon each torrent finish. It is just fine to place it under Download dir ... like "<whatever>/Downloads/z_incomplete"

Kenfolk

Explorer
I was just thinking, since I have to add the path in "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission " would I actually be able to have different download directories? Like one in my T: and one for say a U: and W:? Or is it better to just keep it at one?

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
@Kenfolk The value of transmission_download_dir is path where Transmission stores the new downloads by default.

Either the path is used as a default one when new torrent is added manually (drop/open .torrent file in TransGUI, you will get a window with "Destination folder" field. That should be pre-filled with that path by default)
OR when the auto-add function is enabled utilizing "Watch directory". In that case any .torrent file stored in the watch dir is automatically added to transmission client using the Default download path.

Of course you can change the destination in first case (when torrent is added maunally) OR when you want to add already completed torrent. In that case just point it to the right direction. The trick here is to NOT use absolute path from source NAS but the one from within jail. So if you have multiple sources just create mount-points to Jail and add correct mapping in TransGui. Then you can use any of these for Download or as "Source".

Anyway even if no "download" is actually used (like in your case) the path has to be valid otherwise it has weird behavior. So better to have it properly set.

Kenfolk

Explorer
I can't thank you enough for all the help, and all the information and knowledge you've provided in this thread. I know I'll probably be coming back to it in the future if any other problems crop up lol

Kenfolk

Explorer
I don't mean to resurrect a post, but since upgrading to Truenas recently and Transmission has been giving me something of a problem. None of my settings changed and Transmission can read all of the files that I had up until now. Everything was setup and working with my mount points and everything, with the files going into \Life\iocage\jails\Transmission\root. They now have decided to go into \Life\iocage\jails\Transmission\root\mnt\Life. In transmission I am pointing them to the right folder, I'm on Windows 10 and have it all mapped out, so I'm confused why it has decided it wants to move the new downloads. Any light being shed on this would be appreciated, thanks!

-edit-
Solved, apparently the way it reads paths has changed a little, the path doesn't have to say /mnt anymore, removing that fixed my issue

Last edited: