Transferring files over network between two FreeNAS servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorneDJ

Cadet
Hi,

I just build a new server with a bit more storage space and some ZFS redundancy, but now I want to transfer about 3 TB of files to the new server. I see the servers on my network, but can I just copy the files from the one "drive" to the other "drive" or can I connect directly to the other Freenas server and copy / fetch / transfer the files.

Regards

Morne

Stephens

Patron
If you have (FREENAS1) <----> (CLIENT_MACHINE) <---> FREENAS2 you can most certainly use CLIENT_MACHINE to copy from FREENAS1 to FREENAS2. However, it'll slow things down. You can also do other things:
1. RSYNC between FREENAS1 and FREENAS2.
2. Mount a FREENAS1 share from FREENAS2 and copy.
3. FTP from FreeNAS1 to FreeNAS2
etc.

If you care about creation/modification dates, be careful with FTP.

MorneDJ

Cadet
OK, that didn't work.

[root@movieNAS2 ~]# mount --help
mount: illegal option -- -
usage: mount [-adflpruvw] [-F fstab] [-o options] [-t ufs | external_type]
mount [-dfpruvw] special | node
mount [-dfpruvw] [-o options] [-t ufs | external_type] special node

What are this external_type, tried a hundred commands. While I can use the windows PC I would prefer learning FreeNAS now. So I will suffer a bit

toddos

Contributor
Just out of curiosity, did you try the FreeNAS docs? There's a whole section on configuring server-to-server rsync (ignore that it's on a schedule -- you can set it up so it runs on a very long schedule, and remove the task after you're done so it doesn't run a second time).

Yell

Explorer
external_type is mostly : ext2, ntfs , msdosfs, cifs, nfs

if you installed additional software there are more options like (taken from the linux man page, not sure if all are available for freebsd)
adfs, affs, autofs, cifs, coda, coherent, cramfs, debugfs, devpts, efs, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, hfs, hfsplus, hpfs, iso9660, jfs, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, nfs4, ntfs, proc, qnx4, ramfs, reiserfs, romfs, squashfs, smbfs, sysv, tmpfs, ubifs, udf, ufs, umsdos, usbfs, vfat, xenix, xfs, xiafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.