Transferring files from one server to the other

jdabb

Dabbler
what is the best method I can use to transfer files from one server to another from my mac?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So is the intention here to get files from Server A to Server B using your Mac as the manager of that transfer?

Best option is to SSH to one of the servers and launch an Rsync or zfs send|recv from inside a tmux session to avoid stopping the copy when you disconnect your Mac (depending on the size of the copy and the time it will take).

Do a little googling and you should find clear instructions on how to use tmux.

If you wanted to use the Mac as a middle man where all the data flows through it, you can run the rsync from a command window in the Mac, but will need to keep the mac awake and all data will pass twice through the NIC of the Mac (why I'm guessing you don't want that).

scrappy

Patron
Best option is to SSH to one of the servers and launch an Rsync or zfs send|recv from inside a tmux session to avoid stopping the copy when you disconnect your Mac (depending on the size of the copy and the time it will take).

Do a little googling and you should find clear instructions on how to use tmux.
This. Preferably using ZFS send|recv if the remote server is a FreeNAS box or otherwise has ZFS. You could also setup replication tasks from the FreeNAS GUI which is also ZFS send|recv in a GUI wrapper.