Timeline for ZoL Integration?

brando56894

Wizard
I know it's slated for FreeNAS 12 (IIRC) but any loose timeline? 6 months? 2 years? I know unexpected things happen (like in Corral hahaha) but since the move from Redmine to Jira, I don't see any proposed dates.

I've always been a huge fan of FreeNAS and ZFS, even though I'm a Linux guy at heart (currently a Linux SysAdmin for a huge multimedia streaming company in NYC). I've been switching back and forth ever since FreeNAS 9.3 (?) since I love the GUI and easy of use, but never really liked how FreeNAS/BSD limited me since I was trying to use it like a full OS and not a NAS appliance. Jails were nice but were out of date to me since I regularly use Arch Linux, trying to get updated versions from ports generally meant compiling hundreds of dependent packages, which wasn't fun on a 4 or 6 core processor clocked at like 2 GHz. VirtualBox straight up sucked, and I had frequent issues with Bhyve locking up under heavy load in the guest OS, something the devs could never replicate no matter how hard they tried, but I could replicate at the drop of a hat. Back to Linux it was!

I've done multi-guest virtualization (vSphere hypervisor, Linux VM for general purpose, FreeNAS with my HBA passed through for storage, and a Windows VM for gaming) but that just generally becomes a pain because FreeNAS has to be alive and well, before the other two can successfully work. I've tried other NAS OSes based on Linux, even ones that claim to support ZFS, which they do, but it's not integrated into their GUI/software, so it's no different than using my perferred distro.

I've just settled back on Ubuntu 19.04 with ZoL and run everything in Docker. I'm not a fan of RancherOS for home usage, it's far too complex. I'd happily setup a bhyve Linux VM in FreeNAS and run Docker from that, especially since I switched from a 6 core Xeon to a 24 core Threadripper 2 :D. I do want to see if the processor or chipset was the issue but the issue is that I upgraded my feature flags like a year ago, so my pools can no longer be imported, and I'm not about to destroy my 70 TiB zpool yet again to just migrate over to FreeNAS.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I seem to recall FreeNAS 12 being the major canary for Zof for the broader FreeBSD ecosystem.

Arwen

MVP
I've been following OpenZFS & ZoL, so my guess would be 6 months minimum for reasonable integration of ZoL into combo ZoL/ZoF. Then another 6 months to 1 year for FreeNAS with ZoF. So, 1 year minimum is my guess.

OpenZFS code sharing works, but can be slow & require lots of changes between the various repositories. The intent behind ZoF using ZoL as a base point, is to reduce overall code difference and increase the speed of which features get migrated to the various OSes, (starting with FreeBSD).

Here is a list of the OSes where you can find OpenZFS. The first 4 have been around for ages, (well, 7 years is ages in computers).
  • Illumos, (and derivitives)
  • FreeBSD, (and potentially NetBSD)
  • Linux
  • MacOS
  • OSv
  • MS-Windows, (still in Alpha preview)
I just heard where MacOS & MS-Windows get their base code from, but I can't remember. I do remember it's the same place.

Note that when I said 7 years, that's the "OpenZFS" project's birth. Obviously open sourced ZFS existed before then. It just that the various projects did not share code as much as they did after OpenZFS was created.

brando56894

Wizard
I figured it would be at least 6 months :-/ From what I was reading earlier FreeBSD 12 was released many months ago and they'll be releasing FreeBSD 12.1 within like a month or two, so I was kinda hoping we'd at least get nightlies based on 12 relatively soon.

I've been using Ubuntu for the past few months and I already want to switch back to Arch because whenever I reboot, the damn thing only imports one of my pools (scratch space of course, and not my main pool), even though I've told it multiple times to import all 3, so it then starts docker, which creates the directories I have linked to the pool, and when I attempt to import the pool later it says it can't because the mount point isn't empty!

jenksdrummer

Patron
12 is still very much beta/nightly. Recently spun up a VMware instance using FN12 and I couldn't get it to create a zpool at least via the GUI. I'll wait...