Thoughts about my router and its crashing, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bohs Hansen

Hi, I know a lot of smart people hang around this forum, so I thought I get some input.

I got some regular trouble with my router, unfortunately I can't install DD-WRT on it as it ain't compatible.

I got the D-Link DIR-855, which seemed like a really nice router from the specs. However I got the problem with it that it "stops" the traffic on the WAN port after about a week.

As it gets slightly hot, my first thought was that heat caused it. But a simple turn off and back on right away makes it run for another week.

That brought me to my next conclusion, it must be some sort of cache or flash that runs full with logs or something.

The LAN part will keep working, even after a crash - but that is probably cause the LAN ports on the router are kinda a separate switch in it.

Could I be in the right direction here? Or anyone had similar problems and fixed them somehow?

cubix

Have you tried the latest firmware from D-Link - try their website direct as I don't trust the inbuilt firmware checker.

B

Bohs Hansen

its the latest available for it (UK model, version 1.20ww, hardware version a2), also the one it reverts to on "reset to default"

B

Bohs Hansen

Finally got D-Link to unblock my support portal account today and got a rapid reply with the newest beta firmware that isn't linked. Uploaded and now I guess I'll just have to wait and see :)
When it comes to routers they don't seem to be any perfect ones. They all lack something somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.