The user root is not valid.

Randomsense

Cadet
I've got an old iXsystems TrueNAS server that we replaced with a new iXsystem TrueNAS server. I figured I would rebuild the old hardware with FreeNAS and utilize it as a backup target or other non-primary storage. I've installed 11.1-U7 as the old server doesn't have UEFI that the current 11.2 version requires for GPT boot support (unless I'm mistaken).

Initially everything seemed to working... I've added it to our AD domain and its seeing the AD users and groups fine. Though when I went to change permissions on a linux dataset I got a message saying the user is not valid. I did a bit of poking around and noticed that the areas I've tried all give the same error. It appears only the local users on the FreeNAS fail where as AD accounts work fine. I hadn't tried before adding the server to the domain.

For example if I go to System -> Advanced and click on Save (without changing anything) it will show 'The user root is not valid' for the Periodic Notification User field. Basically saving anywhere its using a local account fails with the account is not valid. That goes for the default root as well as another local account I've manually created. I'm guessing its looking at the AD account information and skipping the local accounts for some reason.

Any ideas what might be causing this behavior and how to fix it?

Thanks
-=Thomas

Build FreeNAS-11.1-U7 Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz Memory 49105MB

Meyers

Patron
Always be sure to research the docs first:

FreeNAS® can be configured to boot with the standard BIOS boot mechanism or UEFI booting

So I'd start with rebuilding it to 11.2.

Yorick

Wizard
Local users failing is odd. One possibility is the user database got corrupted. What are you booting from, and does a scrub of the boot drive show anything untoward?

Randomsense

Cadet
Quick follow up...

Not sure what caused the account errors and in the end decided to continue trying to get 11.2 installed. For reference boot drive scrubs came up clear.

Originally attempted to install 11.2 via 3 different USB drives, different iso downloads, IPMI mounted iso, using different software to write the iso out as well as under different OS, and attempting to upgrade from within 11.1 via GUI all failing. For some reason another round of attempts under same as above conditions one of the installs worked. In the end I got one of the from scratch usb installs working. No idea why. Seems to be working both in general and AD/local accounts. Has been running smoothly for a while now. Just have to see if it survives the next update.