System Keeps Shutting Off...Help Troubleshoot

ARAMP1

Dabbler
I have a small system that I use as a music server for my home network. It houses all my music in different formats for whoever is using it (FLAC, MP3, album art, etc.)

For some reason, it keeps randomly shutting down. It doesn't seem to be doing it when anyone is accessing it, just random times. It could go a week or an hour. I've never seen the temps get much more than 30. I have no jails or plug-ins running. Just the SMB shares for the music. What do I need to do to go about troubleshooting it?

Here's the alert I get after restart.

Here's the Reporting page readouts for the CPU. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Memory, disk, etc all seem to be normal.

The machine is a Supermicro A1SRM-2758F motherboard with 32G of RAM. It's in a Supermicro 1U server chassis with 4x4TB Seagate IronWolf drives. Any ideas/suggestions on how to figure out what's going on is appreciated.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Do you have a UPS? What power supply are you using?

As @Samuel Tai noted, are you having any power issues on the outlet that the server is plugged into? You might try plugging into a separate circuit (e.g., not an outlet on the same circuit breaker). (I remember years ago a server would go down when somone plugged a kettle into the same circuit that the server was on. Only figured out when we correlated the server going down with break time :eek:)

A wild hare, from the manual:
Watch Dog Function If enabled, the Watch Dog timer will allow the system to reboot when it is inactive for more than 5 minutes. The options are Enabled and Disabled.

I can't find it in the manual, but are there any setting for a sleep mode?

ARAMP1

Dabbler
Do you have a UPS? What power supply are you using?
I do have a UPS (and nothing else on the network is shutting off) I initially thought it may have been something with the power supply and have swapped it out a couple times (including the stock Supermicro one that came with the chassis) with no changes. Currently using some cheap 80 Plus Bronze that I picked up for another project.

Some other hardware troubleshooting I've done was replaced the front I/O cable (the old one did look a little ratty). I also thought the motherboard could be grounding out on the chassis, even though there is a plastic sheet between the two. I installed nylon washers/spacers to raise the motherboard. Still no luck.

Redcoat

MVP
Is there anything in the IPMI event logs that helps? Do you see "Watchdog Asserted" for example - per Newfoundland's suggestion?

What version of FreeNAS?

ARAMP1

Dabbler
As @Samuel Tai noted, are you having any power issues on the outlet that the server is plugged into? You might try plugging into a separate circuit (e.g., not an outlet on the same circuit breaker). (I remember years ago a server would go down when somone plugged a kettle into the same circuit that the server was on. Only figured out when we correlated the server going down with break time :eek:)

A wild hare, from the manual:
Watch Dog Function If enabled, the Watch Dog timer will allow the system to reboot when it is inactive for more than 5 minutes. The options are Enabled and Disabled.

I can't find it in the manual, but are there any setting for a sleep mode?
I hadn't thought of Watchdog, but it was turned off. I did change the restore on power loss though.

Attachments

• Watchdog.jpg
    Watchdog.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 214

ARAMP1

Dabbler
Is there anything in the IPMI event logs that helps? Do you see "Watchdog Asserted" for example - per Newfoundland's suggestion?

What version of FreeNAS?
I'm running 11.3-U3.1. I don't have IPMI hooked up yet. Looks like that's the next step.

Redcoat

MVP
I'm running 11.3-U3.1.
Reason for that question was that I recall being one of a few folk who had such unexpected reboots around the time that 11.2-U4/5 became available - that "just went away" - with updates. I and others had watchdog assertions logged.

ARAMP1

Dabbler
Thanks for the replies, gents. IPMI is hooked up...now to just wait for it to happen again and see what the event log says.

@HoneyBadger may be onto something. I found a couple of links from STH and Synology that seems to have similar symptoms....

ARAMP1

Dabbler
Just a quick update for everyone who has helped with suggestions...

It ended up being a defective front panel/on/off switch. I had an extra power switch laying around from a pc build I did a couple years ago and decided to wire it in directly to the motherboard. It worked perfectly for about a week, so I decided to order a replacement supermicro front control panel assembly off of ebay for $8. I swapped it in the chassis and it's been up and running ever since.

Thanks again to everyone who offered help and suggestions.