Synology killer - or have I made too many errors? :-)

c77dk

Patron
Hi,

It's time for me to look at something more trustworthy for my data than my current Synology DS416, and in that regard I've put together a first draft of parts for the new monster.

The use for the server will be:

TimeMachine (which means SLOG unless I want to have really slow backups, if I have understood correctly, due to sync)
CIFS shares for MAC and Linux 2-3 clients (mostly music, movies and RAW files)
Some lightweight jails
1-2 small VMs

At the moment I want to make a single raidz2 pool consisting of 6 disks (going to reuse 3 from my Synology) - later I want to add another raidz2 vdev consisting of 5-6 disks (on a HBA), and 10Gbps networking, hence the large PSU.

My main concern is the CPU - if I should stay on the i3 or go to a Xeon ?

Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F
CPU: Intel Core i3-7100T
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: 2x 16GB Crucial CT16G4RFD8266 16Gb Ddr4-2666 Rdimm
System SSD: A-Data Ultimate SU650 120GB
Storage (new disks to have more spindles): 3x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB
Storage (current disks from Synology box): 3x 4TB WD RED
SLOG: Intel Optane H10 512GB
Adaptor/Riser for SLOG: StarTech M2 PCIe SSD Adapter
PSU: Corsair RM750x

I know the SLOG device is way too big, but it's the size I can get at my retailer atm.

The system will be connected to my UPS - unfortunately the power isn't too stable, even though I live in the 3. largest city in Sweden.

Do the specs above look decent? or have I missed something completely?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You may not need the SLOG if you put more RAM and look at the optimizations to keep the metadata in ARC... there's a thread about that somewhere talking about speeding up rsync jobs with lots of small/rarely used files by doing that.

The specs in general look OK to me. I don't think I missed anything in your list which would be IO intensive, so RAIDZ2 should work fine.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I don't think a SLOG is strictly necessary for time machine over SMB. My home NAS doesn't have one, and I've been doing time machine over SMB for about a year now on it. Time machine has never been particularly fast.

sretalla