Syncthing Issues - Crashes FreeNAS and Slow speed

markgca

Dabbler
i installed syncthing on a 11.3 U1 system, and it seemed fine.
trying to sync data between freenas and a series of desktops (one for now) on a lan
but two issues; one, the freenas server now crashes periodically
and two, the speeds are horrendously slow

checked the syncthing address and it says 'relay client' which according to syncthing is not a good thing, and will cause the slow speeds. which is what i have. but they show no solution

also checked the version numbers; the freenas version is 1.3, the windows version 1.4; those seem to be the latest, at least the latest available. but perhaps the latest available for freenas isnt the latest?

anyone have any suggestions? i tried deinstalling/reinstalling, same issue. opened up upnp like they suggested, no change.

is this plugin just buggy/old? im getting about 1.2 Mibs which is painfully slow, making this useless
and the reboot issue is even worse; what could cause a system reboot when a jail crashes; i am not that familiar with jails but would think they would be isolated from such things.

thanks for any suggestions

phxgregg

Cadet
I have the exact same problem I think. I just posted yesterday that my freenas system was sluggish, after some testing, I figured out that it was syncthing that was causing the issue. I Have disabled syncthing and the nas is back to being spiffy. Is there a solution to this? Have you figured something out?

ghamauricio

Dabbler
Hello guys.

I had the same problem. Deleting and then reinstalling the plugin did the trick for me.

Now I'm trying to get it to actually sync.

Best luck!

EDIT:
After configuring it and permissions and all (had a headache because I'm trying to sync an SMB share and permissions were a little tough to get going), my Syncthing finally shows "Scanning", it still brings the FreeNAS server to a halt.

No commands work. SSH doesn't login because it's like it's so slow, the web interface doesn't execute what I tell it to, Syncthing's web page doesn't shutdown the plugin and the only thing left to do is a hard reset on both servers.

So I'm on the same boat as you guys.

Last edited:

Skro

Contributor
I was having the same issue with Syncthing, disabling the setting under Advanced > Scanning > Watch for Changes on both Freenas and my computer seems have improved the issue.

sgtpepperaut

Cadet
same issue on Truenas Core 12 rc1.
system becomes unusable after a short while. i cant see anything "obvious" happening. memory of services is growing. CPU spikes but not continuous high load.

I was having the same issue with Syncthing, disabling the setting under Advanced > Scanning > Watch for Changes on both Freenas and my computer seems have improved the issue.
this points towards something with "inotify" or well the whatever process lets syncthing now that a file was changed. whatever the case the syncthing jai should not be able to cause TrueNAS basically require a hard reset :/

are you guys running a bare metal install or a VM?

sgtpepperaut

Cadet
i think this is the solution:

you need to edit per folder advanced settings and check "Case Sensitive FS"

ST comments: