Syncing multiple remote servers with one main TrueNAS device

eiton

Cadet
With the sudden need for everyone to work from home, our storage situation has changed.

Background:
Previously, we had one main TrueNAS server in the office that three users connected to and used to edit and create different files. A common use case might be one user would create some sort of graphic asset in one folder and another user would use that asset in a project saved in another folder.

Also, folders would often have their names changed depending on the status of that particular project. A folder for a project would have "in progress" at the end of the name and then later changed to "approved" once everything was complete and approved.

Our hacky workaround for the moment was to simply give everyone an external drive with a copy of the servers contents on it for the moment and we would connect to our VPN every so often to manually copy files over to the server. This feels a bit dangerous and easy to mess up for my non-techy coworkers.

None of the data stored on the server is particularly "sensitive" or secret. There's no company secrets, credit card numbers, social security numbers or anything that would be too embarrassing if the data were to leak out somehow.

Possible desired solution:
I would like for everyone to have a small, inexpensive server at home with a copy of all the data on the main server. This could be a freenas mini or even a cheap synology box or something along those lines.
The big thing is I'd like for the syncing of data and resolving of conflicts to be as simple and painless as possible.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how best to achieve this?

Let me know if there's any additional information I could provide.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Eiton,

Thanks for writing! Lots of us are in the same situation right now as well. We've adapted to this by making heavy use of WireGuard as a VPN so that we can still access our SMB shares remotely. (WireGuard is very fast, and gives about the best performance possible for this kind of thing).

Your idea about having local storage which syncs up to the TrueNAS makes sense, and yes some FreeNAS Mini's could possibly be used in that situation. We have a plugin for Syncthing that could be used in the manner you describe.

Personally I'd recommend the VPN approach, since it'll ensure consistency across your team, letting SMB handle locking.

I'd suggest you reach out to your Account Manager or Sales Engineer to discuss the particulars of your situation. I'm confident they can help provide some guidance and help to come up with a workflow that'll make sense for you.

Stay healthy!