symlink inside of jail to outside of jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suiname

Dabbler
So I got my jail/plugins working, which is awesome and the entire reason I chose FreeNAS as my NAS OS. I am really satisfied with how it is all working, save one thing. I use sabnzbd as my usenet plugin, and it's great because I can have it categorize different types of media and automatically organize them, etc. However, I have a problem with my setup, and that is mainly, I have only 1 ZFS volume which consists of all 6 of my Drives in a RAID-Z1. All my data is stored in various folders off the root of this volume, including my jail, located at /jail. Now, I want sabnzbd to be able to access my media store, located at /media so that it can save data there. I thought that I would be able to make a simple symlink (ln -s /media /jail/media) and it would just work, but so far this hasn't. Is it possible to redirect inside your jail to outside of the jail (i.e. main filesystem)? How should I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

ProtoSD

MVP
You can't create symlinks between the jail and the host OS, but you can do something similar using "mountpoints". You can create a mountpoint to the top level folder to a top level folder inside the jail, sort of similar to mounting NFS shares (which you can also do from inside the jail). Check out the documentation for details.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Main_Page

Suiname

Dabbler
awesome, both of these solutions should work for me, the mount point one is probably more elegant so I'll try that first. Thanks a lot.

Suiname

Dabbler
cool, that totally worked, I just had to set the permissions correctly from within the mount point and it worked fine. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.